Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scammers on uk astro buy & sell

buzzc150

That's a fair call but it's not always easy to do that especially if distance is involved. That said for that reason I almost weekly miss out on a scope that I want in the UK because of the distance, I'd like to see it and pick it up. It's not that I don't trust the sellers but I certainly don't trust the courier companies and it would be pricey to ship a big SCT down this way.

II know, it can be very frustrating Jarrod, I've also missed out on some very desirable item's simply by being too far away, or on the wrong side of the Atlantic when they come up for sale. I may have missed out on a deal, but then I haven't lost money either; and that's what is important. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think vendors are occasionally over-demonised? I have seen some "wanted" adds on ABS

that now launch into a list of "preemptive requirements" (threats?) that frankly terrify me. :D

I recently successfully sent some items to Italy. I was asked for assurances that they would be

"packed properly" etc. etc. lol. I "went to town" on the latter, sent photos, tracking updates etc.

STILL - After ten days, I got the (now expected?) "Where's my stuff" email. Went to the trouble

of researching (translating from!) the Italian Postal system. He was evidently OUT when it was

delivered! I suppose he then collected it from the post office - I noted their official confirmation.

But not even a cursory Email acknowledgment (thanks even?) of receipt. :o

Not entirely dissuaded from selling (To SGL)! But frankly, given the stress involved, temporary

cash-flow problems might be better solved by a pay day loan. :eek:  And at only a 30% loss? :p

I lent something to a (at the time) forum member, paid the postage, about £4.00, never got it back and they disappeared from the forum shortly after, had their address but couldn't be bothered to go and see if they still lived there as it was only worth about £20.00 and would have cost more than that in petrol to get there.

Dave

Absolutely disgusting ! I can't understand how people live their lives like this .

Luckily these low life's are a rarity round these parts.

.... If someone is paying by cheque, never send the goods until you have confirmed with your bank that the cheque has actually cleared.

Cautionary tale from my own, personal experience:

I have received bankers draft (even better than a cheque and in theory not bouncable) .

It has cleared (funds appeared on my statement).

Only to receive couple of days later a phone call from the bank to tell me that the cheque has been fraudulent and there is no money :evil:

Luckily I have waited long enough before parting with my goods for sale.

Managed to trace fraudsters to Denmark (they have claimed to be from Ireland) via the phone number.

Their supposedly Irish accent was decidedly African :grin:

Tried to report to police hoping for a follow up and have been told that since I didn't actually loose any money (more due to luck than anything else) there was no crime so police are not interested.

Bank wasn't interested either...

Archived