Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need some kind words of encouragement

Kirscovitch

Just before Christmas I got my 2nd scope. A Zhumell Z10 dob. 

And now, just about 2 months later, It still hasn't moved from where I put it after assembling it. It has been waiting patiently in the corner of the living room. It seems like I will never get the chance to take this bad boy out on its maiden voyage.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to take it out. I WANT to take it out. But when I do I want it to be a good session. With the bitter cold we have had this winter, I have just been taking out the much smaller and much more portable 130SLT. I can only usually get 2 hours out tops before frost becomes an issue. (That and also one night after an hour and a half at -40f I seriously thought that I got some mild frostbite on my toes. I didn't want to take my boots off to see.) So lugging out the big dob just to turn around and lug it back in didn't really appeal to me. When I take the dob out, I intend to make it worthwhile. I'd say at least 4-5 hours for its first light. Plus since I have not had it out yet, I still need to spend a bit of time just aligning the finderscope. I know that the good advice is to do it in the daytime with a distant object, but from the backyard the most distant thing would be about a block away. My thinking is doing it at night with Polaris. It may not be the best or easiest but should work.

Also would it be bad or weird to say that on occasion I take the dust cover off and breathe in that new scope smell?  :icon_neutral: 

Just need some kind words and a little encouragement that spring is on the way and though it may not seem like it, at some point I will be able to take it out.

We're suffering too, not with cold but with endless rain and wind. Seems like an age since i had a decent session with the scope. Actually it is an age, only grabbed a total of 40mins in the last 2 months.,

But fear not, Spring is on the way for sure. Just 6 weeks away. And in my opinion, you can keep winter. Best season for astronomy....based on what i say? Crummy dark nights that only bring cloud, rain, wind and cold. Can't ever use the full extent of the darkness anyway. Stuck at work from 6am to 6pm. Then have fatherly duties till 8pm. Earliest i can ever get out is 9pm. So roll on Spring. Gets dark at the right time, temps rise and tends to be better weather to boot. Plus its galaxy season.....great news for big dob owners.

Winter sucks!!!!

Ay, it's a tiresome journey stealing looks when we can with work, family, chronic light pollution and weather all conspiring to keep us indoors. It's a long road and on the portal of every entry into astronomy ought to be inscribed: You will suffer for this and be grieved but there will be adventure and wonderful times.

If you hang on in there, the sky will be a trusting and good companion. The years will tick by, so much will happen and on one of those days there will be Jupiter, back where it was originally all those years ago when you started out a younger man. The passing of a companion will be dated by the stars that were in the sky that night; the phases of the moon will mark a trying time and its soft light will blanket a tender evening you spent with loved ones.

The evening sky will be there to console you when the hustle and bustle of daily life has taken its toil and when we become a little too much of ourselves and others, there will be the ancient galaxies and stars to nudge us gently back into place.

And when we are older and looking back, all those uneventful evenings will appear to us as a singular, non-descript event, yet shining from them like a host of gleaming stars will be those stargazing evenings where everything just seemed perfect and the universe at last could murmur its secrets.

40 mins in 2 months is crazy talk! I couldn't imagine it. I would absolutely be going crazy!  One thing I must say about winters here is even though it gets very cold, if it gets clear it gets super clear. So that is one good point. 

And yes, galaxy season is almost here. Maybe, just maybe, there was a reason I haven't taken the dob out for first light yet. Rumor has it that one can get lost in all the fuzzies that will be coming up. I can't wait!

40 mins in 2 months is crazy talk! I couldn't imagine it. I would absolutely be going crazy!  One thing I must say about winters here is even though it gets very cold, if it gets clear it gets super clear. So that is one good point. 

And yes, galaxy season is almost here. Maybe, just maybe, there was a reason I haven't taken the dob out for first light yet. Rumor has it that one can get lost in all the fuzzies that will be coming up. I can't wait!

I've probably had 3-4 hours in 2 months. Sometimes I wish I lived in Spain, but even more often I wish I could regularly teleport myself and gear to the Atacama every night.

The weather will improve, but perhaps take the 10" dob out anyway? I'm sure you'll enjoy the views, and the scope will enjoy being outside getting some fresh air :).

Its funny, when i first came into the hobby the seasoned amatuers used to talk of the legendary winter nights. Velvet black skies with bright diamond like stars glittering in the sky. An amazing transparency that you just couldn't get in Spring and Summer.  All summer long they would constantly count down the nights till autumn/winter arrived. Wishing the Spring and Summer away. And every year without fail they would then spend the entire Autumn/Winter moaning about the weather......as i used to do.

I always count down the winter nights, wishing them away, knowing spring will soon be here. And with it decent clear nights....i'm sure of it. :) 

Ay, it's a tiresome journey stealing looks when we can with work, family, chronic light pollution and weather all conspiring to keep us indoors. It's a long road and on the portal of every entry into astronomy ought to be inscribed: You will suffer for this and be grieved but there will be adventure and wonderful times.

If you hang on in there, the sky will be a trusting and good companion. The years will tick by, so much will happen and on one of those days there will be Jupiter, back where it was originally all those years ago when you started out a younger man. The passing of a companion will be dated by the stars that were in the sky that night; the phases of the moon will mark a trying time and its soft light will blanket a tender evening you spent with loved ones.

The evening sky will be there to console you when the hustle and bustle of daily life has taken its toil and when we become a little too much of ourselves and others, there will be the ancient galaxies and stars to nudge us gently back into place.

And when we are older and looking back, all those uneventful evenings will appear to us as a singular, non-descript event, yet shining from them like a host of gleaming stars will be those stargazing evenings where everything just seemed perfect and the universe at last could murmur its secrets.

That is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

Its funny, when i first came into the hobby the seasoned amatuers used to talk of the legendary winter nights. Velvet black skies with bright diamond like stars glittering the sky. Amazing transparency as well.  All summer long they would constantly count down the nights till autumn/winter arrived. Wishing the Spring and Summer away. And every year without fail they would then spend the entire Autumn/Winter moaning about the weather......as i do now. I think as far as the UK goes, those legendary winters nights are no more than just that....legend. No more real than the legends of King Arthur or Robin Hood.

We do manage to get those nights here. On new years eve I was out at my parents house in the country. It was so dark and clear that night I had a hard time picking out the very familiar constellations as there were so many stars out. It was the best view of the milky way I have ever seen. 

We do manage to get those nights here. On new years eve I was out at my parents house in the country. It was so dark and clear that night I had a hard time picking out the very familiar constellations as there were so many stars out. It was the best view of the milky way I have ever seen. 

Wow that sounds amazing. Been a long time since i saw a sky that good. Actually it was a brief one hour of clear skies at a 2004 star party in Norfolk. Just as you describe, so many stars it was hard to pick out the constellations. And M51 was like a shining beacon in the 50mm finderscope. Much brighter than i could see it in the main 8" scope back home.

Maybe some better boots/socks and warm clothing are in order , if it's dark then the dob needs to get out surely ...  :rolleyes:

If I bundled up any more I wouldn't be able to move lol! Warmer nights are coming according to extended forecasts. I'm sure the dob will be out very soon.

Wow that sounds amazing. Been a long time since i saw a sky that good. Actually it was a brief one hour of clear skies at a 2004 star party in Norfolk. Just as you describe, so many stars it was hard to pick out the constellations. And M51 was like a shining beacon in the 50mm finderscope. Much brighter than i could see it in the main 8" scope back home.

It was a spectacular night. I was going to bring the scope out there as we had a small get together for dinner but the forecast called for clouds. I did have the bins in the car and we did manage to get out to view M31, 45, and 42 as well as Jupiter. None of us were dressed for it though as it was around -10F that night so the viewing session was very short!

Sometimes I wish I lived in Spain, but even more often I wish I could regularly teleport myself and gear to the Atacama every night.

They're working on teleporting of particles in the Canary Islands as we speak :grin: They're not doing badly, the last I read pairs of entangled particles were generated and one stayed on La Palma while the other was teleported to Tenerife some 140km away. Give or take a good while, it may soon be possible to make your wish come true, Naemeth :laugh:

Well I must admit I'm not sure I could cope with the temperatures you have there, but I have the same scope as you in all but name, I think, the GSO 880 Deluxe. It's my main observing scope. If you are able to store it in a shed (no idea if that can be done in such cold conditions) then I find it pretty good for a quick session.

I've had a lot of illness the last two winters and sometimes I've only been up to 45 mins or 1 hour with the dob. I've really enjoyed those short sessions. I've just stuck to the main obvious targets.

A 10 inch dob is a lovely telescope. I have a 16 inch dob too but that is a bit of a beast to move, and the truth is I would be more than happy to spend the rest of my life with a 10 inch dob. It's an awesome scope, even if only for a short session. I've seen spiral arms in M51 with it.

What can I say, you have a pretty practical 10 incher especially if you can have it cooled already. I would say don't worry about getting a big session in.

Best of luck and of course stay safe out in those temps, I thought I was brave being out in -10C or so once!

Archived