NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second attempt

DanLXIX

Got a brief chance to have another go at some lunar shots this evening before the clouds came back. Everything went a lot better this time - I've worked out a bit more about DSLRDashboard and the stacking was much easier.

I was restricted to taking 32 subs because of the cloud, so if I took even more would I get an even sharper image?

Nikon D7100 with Sigma 120-400mm lens, 1/125 sec @ f8, 400mm, ISO 100

post-35067-0-29003300-1392156076_thumb.j

For more detail i tend to do the whole surface as a mosaic using a barlow to get that extra magnification :) Adding more subs may give you more detail but you will hit a threshold where you can only extract that amount of detail from the distance you are working at.

-Rob

For more detail i tend to do the whole surface as a mosaic using a barlow to get that extra magnification :) Adding more subs may give you more detail but you will hit a threshold where you can only extract that amount of detail from the distance you are working at.

-Rob

Do you realise how big that would be if you used a Barlow

Pat

Very nice I'd be happy with that at the moment.

Only a small issue if you haven't noticed, when you look at it full size there is a little coloring come in on some of the edge craters (bottom left / top left I think). I'm no expert but that could be due to a little over sharpening.

I've found it very hard to bring the detail out in the central flat areas without going over the top on the edges which have some detail to start with, hence you end up with either no detail center or over sharpening on the detailed edges.

-Rob

I don't have a scope yet, this is just using my DSLR and a 400mm lens so I haven't got that option yet. I'd like to try it though when I do get a scope  :smiley:

Very nice I'd be happy with that at the moment.

Only a small issue if you haven't noticed, when you look at it full size there is a little coloring come in on some of the edge craters (bottom left / top left I think). I'm no expert but that could be due to a little over sharpening.

I've found it very hard to bring the detail out in the central flat areas without going over the top on the edges which have some detail to start with, hence you end up with either no detail center or over sharpening on the detailed edges.

Yes, I tried to get rid of that but failed. I suppose that's the next lesson  :grin:

Whats wrong with a big image? A large image to start with will hold more detail. If you only want to view the image on the screen then a small image is fine, but if you ever want to print it then the large image will be far better. The screen is displaying at 72dpi where when you printer the minimum is usually 300dpi.

Given it's cloudy and drizzling outside, and the Brits are on the TV, I thought I'd have another attempt at stacking the same subs. I think I am beginning to understand a little more the wavelet sharpening, but is this any better?

post-35067-0-11265200-1392847592_thumb.j

Given it's cloudy and drizzling outside, and the Brits are on the TV, I thought I'd have another attempt at stacking the same subs. I think I am beginning to understand a little more the wavelet sharpening, but is this any better?

That is a very nice image but you have overdone the wavelets, the image now clearly shows more noise even in very high signal areas. The top layer of the wavelet sharpens the small structures, the lower ones progressively larger ones, the trick is to sharpen the structures that are not the same as noise so some sort of masking maybe necessary. Which software did you use, Registax?

A.G

That is a very nice image but you have overdone the wavelets, the image now clearly shows more noise even in very high signal areas. The top layer of the wavelet sharpens the small structures, the lower ones progressively larger ones, the trick is to sharpen the structures that are not the same as noise so some sort of masking maybe necessary. Which software did you use, Registax?

A.G

Yes, Registax. I haven't looked at the mask function yet, I'm still trying to work out the wavelet sharpening and you've just shed some more light on it for me  :smiley:

Archived