Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Paramount ME II or 10 Micron 2000HPS

jaspalchadha

Being so tightly integrated into its software is what makes it so awesome, but I operate it using my iPhone and their app by ways of their wisky network, but for imaging you want a mount designed from the ground up to function with the software... IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which mount are you referring to here - MEII or 10Micron?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess, via ASCOM, its possible to build a TPoint model to use with the 10Micron via connection to TheSkyX anyway, right?

Rightly or wrongly I actually like using the computer - part of my enjoyment of this 'hobby' (more than that as it needs hrs a day lol) are all the software tools, visual displays, tweaking etc. I have a statistical modelling background so love TPoint (sure I would love 10Micron's equivalent also). Its the same reason I like all the guiding elements. I may grow out of this once I become a better imager if I notice its better for image quality to do everything via the mount, who knows!

Using TPoint and Protrack with a 10Micron is like guiding the guider. Two models in a row is not good. The maths behind TPoint (Wallace) is very similar to that of the 10Micron in-mount model, the main differences being a more advanced rotational matrix in the 10Micron, making it very immune to polar alignment errors, and automatic separation of model terms when needed.

/per

Using TPoint and Protrack with a 10Micron is like guiding the guider. Two models in a row is not good. The maths behind TPoint (Wallace) is very similar to that of the 10Micron in-mount model, the main differences being a more advanced rotational matrix in the 10Micron, making it very immune to polar alignment errors, and automatic separation of model terms when needed.

/per

Thanks Per that's clear.

One of the things i really like about TPoint within TheSkyX is the ability to combine modelling with plate solving.  I can set an area of sky and let TheSkyX choose random points, slew, take a picture, plate solve, add the sample to the model.  Is that what the 10Micron is doing also to get the 'intended vs actual position' in the sky?  Or does each point added to the sample need a manual adjustment that the mount is records?

Right :)

The mount handpad can be used to build the model, which means you center a bunch of alignment stars chosen by the mount controller (eypiece, manual). The other way is to use the software I wrote, "Model Maker", which uses plate solving and syncing to achieve the same goal fully automated.

I participated on the Astro Imaging Channel with a one and a half hour show on 10Micron workflow. It can be viewed on Youtube: 

In the show I use Model Maker to build a model with my mount in Provence while sitting in Saltsjöbaden outside of Stockholm. Lots of questions appear to have been answered on that show, which I enjoyed immensely making.

/per

Just watched the modelling section - very good.  That indeed does what TheSkyX does using their All Sky Database and TPoint. 

Looks like the 10Micron basically has everything I get with a Paramount and TheSkyX, but has the axis encoders too... :)

If I can get away with the 60kg payload it looks like the option to go for based on what you get for the money.

Just watched the video all the way through.  Excellent video and really makes the 10Micron's capabilities clear.

When you consider the price of other mounts with encoders this feels like a real bargain.

You have to be aware of that I made the presentation live at 03:30 in the morning.

/p

Ha yes i heard that on the video - you did well to not fall asleep at the start whilst the guy was talking about his image  :grin:

Go for the 10 Micron HPS GM2000 :smiley:

I bought my mount based on what Per has written here on the forum and in the presentation.

To me these mounts seem like they just work! I haven't found any other mount that does unguided imaging like 10 Micron without a PC.

I can't wait to finally try my mount when it gets dark again :grin:

Go for the 10 Micron HPS GM2000 :smiley:

I bought my mount based on what Per has written here on the forum and in the presentation.

To me these mounts seem like they just work! I haven't found any other mount that does unguided imaging like 10 Micron without a PC.

I can't wait to finally try my mount when it gets dark again :grin:

Yes leaning towards the 10 Micron.  Per seems to have written some valuable software too - Ascom driver, Modelling and Mountsend that have fired my imagination :)

My only concern was the payload - some specs say 50kg, some 60kg.  At 60kg I am good to go I think - the RC weighs just shy of 40kg so the higher weight would leave me 20kg for dovetails, imaging and other accesories. At 50kg it will be tight.

Curious... What accessories? I can think of a dew band and a focus motor. What camera clocks in at 20 kg? ;)

/per

So I am thinking:

• camera 
  • filter Wheel 
  • AO 
  • focuser 
  • rotator 
  • finder 
  • dovetails / dual mount plates 
  • APO on dual mount  

I wont be adding all those to start but wont be upgrading my next mount for years - if ever.

So I am thinking:

• camera 
  • filter Wheel 
  • AO 
  • focuser 
  • rotator 
  • finder 
  • dovetails / dual mount plates 
  • APO on dual mount  

I wont be adding all those to start but wont be upgrading my next mount for years - if ever.

I don't use those things ;)

Camera: yes

Filter wheel: yes

AO: don't have one but would be interested in trying one without guider (software permitting)

Focuser: That would be included in the 40 kg for the scope

Rotator: I always do portrait (I like references)

Finder: Absolutely unneccesary with a 10Micron mount. You will never miss a target.

Dovetails: I thought those would be in the 40 as well

APO: Yes, a dual scope... That would add a few kg :)

/per

Per I have a question after watching your video...

I will be using my Celestron CPC925 for a while before I get my new scope and I was wondering about its use on the 10Micron for modelling.  The mirror shift is always going to be an issue I guess, however I have added a Moonlite focuser for adjustments -  I never touch the stock OTA focuser during a session (only pre session to get a rough focus).

Do you think the use of the secondary focuser will allow me to get a robust enough model?  

John

Yes indeed, you will. Lock down firmly and model away! Locks off - no good...

/per

Don't think there are any mirror locks on my model (it is not the HD)

I just don't touch the OTA focuser.

John

It's interesting because this discussion may have highlighted why I get varying results with TPoint. Sometimes it's fine and others not. Good to know this... Just need to work out the circumstances where TPoint works well... i.e i have heard that ensuring focusing always moved the mirror forward (against gravity ) helps.

John

Archived