NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter streak.

cotterless45

Great work and detailed sketch report, Nick. Not sure if we're seeing the same thing, but the other night, I picked up a darkish plume not unlike that shown in your sketch. The only difference being that is was pointing the other way round, going from the northern belt into the equatorial zone. There's a sketch in the first post to give some idea. I'm not sure if it because the relative distance and clarity of Jupiter has augmented in the last few weeks or because for some reason there are more storms going on, but certainly a lot more activity on Jupiter can be discerned.

Certainly seems to have changed visually over the last few months. The southern belt looks more tortuous with lots of detail . Certainly showed up brilliant colour and definition without a filter.

We've had our atmosphere washed and spun over here, which helps !

Nick.

Do you mean the streak in the Equatorial band Nick? I've seen it a couple times but it is faint, I marked it on this sketch which has different longitudes than your observation but its still there. I guess it just needs those steady skies.

post-20821-0-78108700-1392023006_thumb.j

What a lovely sketch Mike,

Do you mean the streak in the Equatorial band Nick? I've seen it a couple times but it is faint, I marked it on this sketch which has different longitudes than your observation but its still there. I guess it just needs those steady skies.

The thin fine (plume) streak last night was from the defined edge of the belt right up into the equator, just one end of it was in the belt.

I had a real surprise to see it so clearly.

There have not been many occasions that I've not used a coloured filter and perhaps that's why I've not spotted this feature. Certainly these belts provide some stunning features under

Clear skies,

Nick.

Lovely sketches, something I will definitely will want to get into. I now have chair, just need to think about some sort of setup for that, and ideally a little bit more civilised temperatures so I can sketch without getting cold fingers :)

Great observations and sketches folks  :smiley:

I've not had a clear night for ages here, it seems  :sad:

This evening looks a bit more promising so I have my fingers and toes crossed !

Likewise !

I observed a dark streak recently bordering between the NEB and Equatorial Zone and was thinking this was a Barge. However someone corrected to say I was seeing a Festoon. What I thought I could observe was very close to what is described here and I'm confused what to say I've seen! Definitely dark and visible. Of late, this planet has been supplying a few surprises, that's for sure.

Archived