NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

moon satellite

Elm0

Hi

Just thought I use take advantage of the gap in the cloud and take a look at the moon and jupiter. I noticed a satellite just to the right of the moon. Any idea what I am seeing. Also jupiter seems to have 6 moons??

Is it me or what am I likely seeing

Haha...that makes sense. Any thoughts of the satellite by the moon. I noticed it before the sun went down. I'd that was a star surely the moons movement would cut this off or move away pretty quickly

I took a look at Jupiter tonight through the hazy high cloud, took a look at the moon, Betelgeuse I wasn't going to be beaten. Gave up after 40 mins, packed the gear away just looked out and crystal clear...... :BangHead:

I saw this one whilst we still had blue sky.

I managed to get about 2 hours before the next band of cloud come over. Was pretty good seeing.

Probably be my lot for the week knowing this weather ..

I'd that was a star surely the moons movement would cut this off or move away pretty quickly

The Moon's in no hurry, it doesn't move much at all during an entire night. It takes just over 27 days to make one orbit of the Earth, so it's movement relative to the background stars will only really be noticeable from one day to the next if you're eye observing.

Most of the movement you see whilst looking up is due to the Earths rotation (which is quite fast), unless it's a nearby satellite or aircraft or those pesky little aliens zipping around the sky.

Hi Elmo, the only satellites I could find near the moon between 6.30 and 7.00 were :

Dummy Mass 1..A test for the LONG MARCH 2 rocket

UniBRITE 1....An optical astronomy satellite

IRIS...Not a clue what this one is !

COSMO SKYMED 1...Italian radar imaging Satellite

Hope this may help... Regards  Geoff

Where are you sourcing that info from.

Thanks

I use Starry Night pro 6 but update the TLE's of each satellite before tracking as this program will not save any new orbits. Once you close the updated screen it reverts back to the old orbit. I have a "hobby" if you like of observing Iridium Flares, some can be quite spectacular. Try this site    http://www.n2yo.com/.    you can track any bit of junk up there and pinpoint what you think you have observed. Just remember the time you saw it and enter your long and lat and bobs your uncle so to speak. Its especially satisfying when you find a military satellite :lipsrsealed:

Regards....Geoff

Archived