NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What i have bought today...

.... I don't know how Alan can sell them at that it is a very good price for an eyepiece that can cost the same as a Hyperion when it has a different logo. ...

I understand that the wholesale price of the unbranded ones (that is not Orion, TS etc) is pretty low if you buy a reasonable quantity. I reckon Alan is making a fair whack even at his selling price for them.

It also means that Orion, TS etc are making even more !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first saw them in America a good few years back and I am assuming they are the same. I believe it was line marketed by Astro Tech called something like "Paradigum ED", I am fairy sure they cost more in the States. I wish I had got one now. I bought the 40mm that is the same as the SW Aero.

Alan

I think it's the Astro Tech Paradigm in the US. Good review of them here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1914

If the BST Explorers / Starguiders are exactly the same spec in all respects as the Astro Tech, TS, Orion (USA) etc branded versions then Skies the Limit have done us a favour by importing them and making them available at less inflated prices than these known brands where you really are paying a premium simply for the "label".

This re-branding of the same item is confusing for the newcomer to the hobby though although it seems common practice in many other fields as well. To add to the confusion I notice that body styles are now being varied to make a product look "new" when the internals have been around for a while in a different guise. All part of the marketing game I guess. 

TheWelshMagician.............Hi, Christmas all at once! Nice collection.

I use all the BST's and why not.  I believe Al Nagler (TeleVue) is quoted to have said, the best view occurs with the highest power that comfortably includes the target object ie; by framing the subject correctly.  Having a set of EPs gives you that opportunity. I also  think the BST focal lengths  are suitably graded for use in my 8" reflector.

Archived