Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beta release of Linux capture application

JamesF

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah my bad sorry I thought the WYSIWYG might have wrongly formatted it.

The binaries now appear to install as it says install complete but neither of the executables appear to actually do anything.

Sorry for being such a pain.

No problem.  These things happen.  It's possible that some of the dependencies are missing.  Try running

ldd /usr/local/openastro/bin/oacapture

to see if that tells you any shared libraries are missing.

It's taken an hour to download the latest Raspian.  I shall get it installed and test as soon as I can.

James

Right, well, this is a nasty hack, but it worked for me with the ASI120MM.  I couldn't get my SPC900 to work because I couldn't find a driver.  It may be that they don't get installed by default.  Here's what I did:

# yum install libudev# ln -s /usr/lib/libudev.so.1.3.2 /usr/local/openastro/lib/libudev.so.0 

That does actually get it working for me, but it looks like a separate Pidora might be required to do it properly.

James

I've just completed a lot of reorganisation and tidying of code to clean up the camera library interface for the next release.  I don't know that I'm quite done yet, but what I've done so far should make it far easier to add more cameras or more camera functionality (such as those controls that are currently unsupported).  The next step is, I think, to do the latter for as many other controls as I can stand :)

James

I always wonder how to test this sort of software, i.e. software that interfaces directly with lots of similar but different hardware on lots of similar but different operating systems.

At the moment it's painfully slow for me :D

I develop on a 64-bit machine and have one particular Linux Mint distribution installed.  I have an old 32-bit laptop with a different release of the same distribution and a 64-bit laptop that I'm about to upgrade to the same.  Then I have a Raspberry Pi with SD cards that allow me to switch between Raspbian and Pidora and an aging 32-bit Intel Atom-based machine on which I have a number of distributions installed alongside each other.

The cameras all plug into a hub and generally I move the hub between them.

It's nowhere near as easy as doing development for websites where I have continual irritation continuous integration and testing all kicked off whenever I check code into the source repository and can write tests to plug into a web browser to test the UI.

James

Well, I'm feeling pleased with myself this morning.  I now have all of the slider-type controls supported in the UI rather than just gain, gamma, brightness, exposure and frame rate when available.  Gain, exposure and frame rate remain permanent fixtures in the UI, but the remaining two can be swapped for any of the others.  So, if you never change the gamma and brightness settings for instance, you can swap them for ones you do care about (blue and red balance, say) and from then on those will be the ones displayed in the UI.

My intention is to have a pop-up window with all the camera controls in, but this gives quick access to the main controls without needing to open a new window.

James

I managed to get it working over the weekend :) In the end I remembered I actually had a sd card with raspbian on from when I first got my pi so just ended up trying it straight on that, I just need to work out what I can do about storage etc if I plan to go ahead with a skycam

Excellent :)

I'm thinking that for image capture such as this I might have a second application that runs without a GUI and just takes parameters for gain settings etc. from the command line which should make things rather tidier.

For storage I think I'd be tempted to use samba to drop files on a fileserver, but NFS might work just as well, particularly if it were automounted rather than permanently configured.

James

Been working on implementing a couple more demosaicking methods over the last few days -- in particular the "smooth hue" and "variable number of gradients" algorithms.  They're quite enough to turn one's brain inside out :eek:   I think I'm mostly there now, though my VNG implementation misbehaves badly when an area is blown out.  I haven't worked out why that should be yet, nor if it's a bug or just a "feature" of the algorithm.  It is quite computationally expensive, too.  I don't think it's really viable for use in real time.

Anyhow, I still want to add support for TIFF output, SER v3 and implement ROI support for the QHY5 and then I might start thinking about another release before wading into supporting the QHY5II and the Firefly MV.  After that there are a number of other features I want to look at such as focus-scoring (I was reading a paper about that the other day and my brain started to turn to jelly).

James

• 1 month later...

Hi James, I've just been having a go with oacapture on my small Ubuntu (13.10) laptop.  oacapture is installed (32 bit, not compiled from source) and I can bring up the gui.  It recognises my modified webcam (Microsoft Lifecam Studio - though I think I see what you mean about unexpected behaviour with exposure - I'd like to try and fix that myself if I can).  As long as I execute the oacapture executable as sudo I can also produce AVI files, however the files are produced, but are unreadable in applications such as XINE.  Is there anything obvious I need to install? - or should it work in more astro specific applications? They're non-zero size and I can see libavformat files in the lib directory.  All I do in oacapture is click start record then finish (once the webcam has been selected and preivews onscreen okay).  I did a fresh Ubuntu install on this machine btw.  Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Tonight was looking good for capturing my first set of data on Mars and Jupiter too!

cheers,

John

Archived