NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Praktica W10x50P Binoculars

Langy

Apologies as I've already posted this in the beginners equipment forum, just didn't know how to move it as I thought I would get more replies here.

I know Binoculars don't get mentioned much in here, other than a good staring point before you buy a telescope.

It looks like I'm working backwards here   :mad: but with all the wonders of the weather   :clouds1: at the moment (and some money in the PayPal account) I thought that maybe a cheap pair of good binoculars may be a good investment.

I currently have a small pair of something like 10x25 which are nice and compact and fit in the glove box for when I'm out and about. I've always wanted something that could be of good use for terrestrial viewing so thought now may be a good time to get something that is also good for astronomical viewing, especially when I'm out and about or like last night get 15 minutes outside before the cloud comes over.

I've not found many reviews on these but reading the description at Scopes and Skies http://www.scopesnsk...tarter-kit.html they sound reasonable before getting into silly prices. Now searching eBay I've found them much cheaper,over 30% cheaper which makes them even more attractive.

Any thoughts from anyone on these, especially if you have a set too.

I believe they are supposed to have a tripod mount on them, not sure   :confused: where that is on a pair of binoculars, also know you have to buy a separate bracket. Obviously this could be of extra use in the future.

I used to have one of those, it actually came as part of the deal when I bought a scope from that retailer (I think I paid £9.99). The example I had was ok, reasonable views considering the low cost, but the build quality let the side down somewhat. It did however whet my appetite for binocular astronomy, so I can't be too critical of it! If you could stretch your budget a little, this is a really nice little binocular for the price & a marked step up from the Praktica....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000AKGX3?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

If you keep an eye, the price fluctuates up and down, I bought mine for £44 all in.

I know Binoculars don't get mentioned much in here, other than a good staring point before you buy a telescope.

Ahem! Not  in this forum: here you are with people who have been observing for at least half an hour before the scope-touters have their kit set up (i.e. just before the next deluge hits) :grin:

The binocular you mention is a variation on the BA1; you can get them for much less than that. Also, check out Scopes'n'Skies in the dealer review forum before buying anything from them.

There's some suggestions for choosing decent first binoculars for astronomy here:

http://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php

Get a quality pair, BinocularSky's link has good suggestions, because they'll be a great investment.

I use binoculars more than my scope. I've also found more Deep Sky Objects with them than with my scope - though the scope magically lands them once you know where to look.

10x50 binoculars are about the most grab and go setup you can own IMO. Handheld they're brilliant, but try tripod mounting, even a lightweight tripod, and good optics will really shine.

The slight clipping of the light path seems to be a characteristic of this binocular (the sample I had was the same), but in all honesty, it never bothered me as the views were more than acceptable considering the price. The only other 10x50s I have owned are the Praktica and a model frequently sold by Lidl under various brand names. The Lidl instrument was better than the Praktica, and likewise, the Olympus was again a marked step up both optically and mechanically. I haven't used, & don't know of anything better "in this price range"

Thought I will give an update.

The Olympus was delivered yesterday. Opened everything up, only minor issue I had was that there looks to be a couple of specs of dust behind the main lenses. With these being more of budget bins I suspect that they are not put together in a lab environment. Didn't worry me too much, only initial viewing I had was through my office window.

So when I got home, everyone had already eaten except my son and I. We sat down and ate and I told my 10yo daughter to go try them out. When she came back in she said that the moon was only so big (fingers very close together) and Jupiter a spec.

It wasn't until 10 when the clouds finally parted, so out with the scope. Spent a while with that as I got it properly polar aligned for the first time. After a while when I had the scope set on a star with the cheap MD running and my camera piggy backing, I had a timer running just taking 5 second exposures. This allowed me to grabs the bins and have a proper look around. The moon looked fantastic, looking at Jupiter you could make out it was a planet and I could even make out the 4 moons. Looking around other parts of the sky and you could see so many more stars than the naked eye.

Very Impressed and worth the money, being 10x they are at hard at times to keep still enough so I've just ordered a tripod mount.

Archived