Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would this camera be ok

Garfield

I find that even though i eventually stepped up to full frame i prefer a cropped sensor such as this for imaging so thats a real plus for making this choice. Nikon f-mount means you will have many many choices with older inexpensive Nikkor lenses for this camera so that another real big one. My 35mm and ED180 are real great for Astrowork and i found them both super cheap on eBay. The new Nikon lenses will be expensive though.The good news is that one of if not the best wide angle lens is made for this camera. The Tokina 11-16mm. I got some of my best milkyway shots with it. That and the sigma 17-70mm. Here's an example..

Welcome to the core

Hi, most on here will probably tell you to buy a Canon as there is more support for astronomy in software. I am sure other members will give you advice on which models.  But if you prefer Nikon, IMO it would be fine for wide star/constellation shots using wide angle camera lens and for attaching to telescope for moon/planetary (with T-Ring/adaptor). I have a D3200 which is basically the same camera with an upgraded spec. The D3100 has a RAW option (Nikon NEF) which is supported by most editing suites. It also has "live view" to aid viewing/focussing and a manual exposure mode. Few things to note, maximum shutter time is 30 seconds, but it has a bulb setting so longer times can be obtained via an intervelometer which you would have to purchase separately. There is no automatic bracketing mode for +- exposures so again you would need to alter via the camera menu after each shot or use external software to control the bracketing. The LCD screen is fixed, a pivoted one can be beneficial but not essential.

I like the Nikon cameras because I have a range of Nikkor lenses from my 2, 35mm Nikon bodies which fit straight on and work like a charm.

I use an old Nikon D80 (10.2MP) for my astro camera but would like to upgrade finances permitting.

I've looked at the D3200, D5200 but have taken a liking to the new D7100 because it doesn't have the optical low pass filter. Albeit a $1000 body compared to much more affordable D31-3200 and D51-5200. It's likely a pipe dream, I'm a disability pensioner but dreams are what keep us going.

I'm not sure on post shot filtering on the D3100 but do know many of the Nikon's have a software/hardware (not sure which one) filter applied while saving the image. There's a work around accredited  to someone whose name I can't recall and that is to shoot with Hi noise reduction enabled- applied (selected in options menu) and turning the camera off soon after snapping the image. This will save the RAW image pre filtering but I haven't tried it myself.

While this in itself sounds very simple, turning the camera off and back on, for my attempts at capturing the Milky Way as a series of shots processed into a panorama, I'm going to move my camera every time I try to switch it off and on. That and I use an intervalometer to capture X amount of images before moving the position of the camera slightly and starting over, usually around 20-40 shots at 30 seconds with an 18-55 Nikkor lens (F3.5).

I also have a wide angle adaptor from my Panason FZ50 which is a x 0.5 adaptor but it tends to distort the outer edges of the images. Two rather cheap fisheye adaptors I purchased from Ebay now serve as paper weights so be wary of cheap glass.

Good luck!

MW_LR_4_10_3_WM_zpsd6b4b496.jpg

I use the Nikon D5100. Love the Live View function and all the extras I can program into it. Saving for a wide angle fast lens at the moment.

Still playing and figuring things out with it but its a fantastic camera. And this is coming from a Canon man.

Used to own the EOS 40D when I worked for a magazine as it was a very fast camera to use. This is my first Nikon and I'm very impressed with it so far.

The Canon cameras may have better third party software support but I don't think the CCD's are vastly superior in any particway. In fact the only reason I would buy a Canon body is due to the availability of clip on astro specific filters (there non for Nikon AFAIK?).

You don't need fancy software to control the camera- a cheap intervalometer will suffice. The thing you do need is LIVE VIEW as this helps focusing.

Just to be different I only use Fujifilm cameras BTW!

The sensors in canon camera USED to be superior to Nikon but nowadays a don't think threre is much of a difference with modern cameras. U have used both brands extensively new and old nd at the end of the day it will just come down to what you feel comfortable with. Yes there is more support fot Canon, but there is plenty of software and adapters that will allow you to do the same thing with Nikon cameras.

As mentioned above, live view is VERY handy to have, low noise ability at the higher end of the iso range is also a bonus and the size of the sensor.should also ne taken into account when choosing.

I would make a list of what you critetia is for what you want to do with it then by the camera/brand that ticks all the boxes.

I use Canon cameras fyi

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I use a D3100 with both an Equinox66 and 150p for no other reason than I was already bought into the Nikon system. I find it a decent camera with reasonable noise control at 1600 ISO. Have a look at some of my posts and images in my gallery with the caveat that I'm still learning so they aren't the best... I also use it with the tokina 12-24 for wide angle shots which is a great lens.

Archived