Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Artificial Starfield - Would this work

Mav359

Hi Guys

I have a C9.25 with a Hyperstar @F2.3. Apparently according to the calculation on the Hubble Optics website their Artificial star (which i have ordered) @ 6.5m would be good enough to collimate the scope. The problem with the Hyperstar is you need to collimate against an entire frame to account for any tilt on the CCD so in my head i'm thinking this based on Hubble Optics Artificial Star.....

If i took a piece of A3 sized 3mm hardboard & used a 0.2mm drill bit to drill multiple holes over the sheet, then placed it over my Flat Field panel like a mask and then mounted the whole thing 10m away, would i have a usable star field to work from?

Thoughts please

The holes need to be round with smooth edges, and I think you may need the smaller of the holes (at least I did). In fact, I bought two of the Hubble things and took the template out of one of them. Said template now sits in front of a 3W lensed LED so that it can be used in daylight :)

/per

The holes need to be round with smooth edges, and I think you may need the smaller of the holes (at least I did). In fact, I bought two of the Hubble things and took the template out of one of them. Said template now sits in front of a 3W lensed LED so that it can be used in daylight :)

/per

Any pictures of the LED setup?

I ordered a Dremel with the flexi tool to make it easier to work (I needed this for something else) that apparently according to the desc runs up to  32000rpm, & the ally is only 1mm thick. Again if you believe the desc the drill bits should cut through ally so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I'm no worse off if it don't work but if it does i should be able to spend as much time as i like indoors getting the collimation perfect

The mask on the Hubble thing is very, very thin and obviously laser or water drilled. I already had a home-made artificial star so I just cut off a quarter of the Hubble mask and taped on top of my previous hole in the box. It works.

I am not sure how it would work with a 1mm thick plate, though. Actually, the going method for artificial stars is more along the lines of kitchen aluminium foil and a pin-hole (made with a pin). You should start there. And the LED needs to be really close or you get a star that is extremely sensitive to angle.

Picture coming up...

/per

Heres what im thinking i can do

Im going to build an A3 box, it will only be 1cm deep & will have a hardboard base. In that i am going to lay multiple strips of LED lighting and essential flood the box with light. There is an 1mm A3 ally sheet on top with multiple 0.1mm holes drilled in it. The LED's will sit no more then 0.6mm from the ally sheet and i will put a battery pack on the back to power it, a LED dimmer switch so i can lower the brightness and a tripod mounting bracket so i can attach it to a tripod in a fixed position and distance.

@Per - If the Ally sheet is too thick then i'll try the foild over the top of the frame, i like the idea of the metal sheet because its a more solid structure and can be reused often if needed.

Thoughts

post-9689-0-21626100-1391548057_thumb.jp

You will find that point sources are aimed using a design such as your contemplated. I had 4mm of spacing between the foil and the LED initially and it was very difficult to aim the "beam" properly. With multiple LEDs, all at some distance from the holes, you are going to have a spray of rays coming out in multiple directions, none of which are going to coincide at your scope (well, one or two then).

I promise, the beams are very narrow since the holes are small. The only way to make it more wide angle is to have the LED right up behind the hole.

What you need is a very bright and perfectly even light source. 500W or so, perhaps? ;)

/per

I think you need one LED behind each hole in order to assure that all rays make it. The Hubble has a very short distance between the LEDs and the screen, and you have to turn the thing to the max intensity (moves the screen over the LEDs), i.e. get a LED right behind the hole.

/per

Archived