Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Motor drive help.

PeterN

I have just bought a secondhand EQ5 mount as a grab and go system for use with the WO 72FD and am looking at motorizing it. It does not need to be goto. I have a set of Losmandy motors and controller which if in working condition so ideally this would seem the way to go. It has the added bonus of PEC and guide port for imaging. Does any know our have an idea about what the ratios should be. I know the losmandy G11 uses a 5.625 inch drive cog with 360 teeth on it but not sure what the EQ5 uses (without counting them!!). It would be nice if I could direct couple it but think the ratio will be wrong.

Any thoughts on the subject most welcome.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've just bought the DK-3 motors from Astronomica (as recommended from Russ, see above) and they have 144 teeth. As Russ mentioned the EQ5 is a clone of the Vixen GP mount and the following link will take you to a bunch of .pdf files that contain elements from the Vixen GP manual. This includes details regarding the motor setp (MT-1).

http://www.company7.com/library/vixen/notes.html

I hope this helps?

Hi Russ,

The CG-5 doesn't appear to have any problems coping with the C11 on it's own (i.e. just by balancing the weights and the scope).

Last night I extended the legs fully on the CG-5 and it was rock solid and looked awesome that high up as well as being very comfortable at the EP level. :D

I only managed to fit the motors on the mount late last night and I've yet to get a power supply from Maplins (I'm going to get a small and cheap mains supply adaptor [12V 400mA Regulated] to start with and maybe look for something bigger and better later, esp. if I add dew heaters, etc.). So, I've no idea if they'll work at all, let alone cope with the strain of the C11 and counter weights! I hope so.

Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to use the C11 due to the blooming awful weather besides, I still need a dew shield and I'm waiting for David Hinds to get them in stock (I could get a cheaper one but I think the scope will look awesome with matching Celestron dew shield).

I'm getting twitchy to use it all because I also had a Baader Hyperion 21mm and Neodymium UV filter delivered yesterday and both look like they've really been made well.

I intend writing a review as soon as I get it all up and running and experience 'firstlight' (whenever that'll be) :D

Awesome setup Steve. It sounds the business. You'll get some knockout views with 21mm Hyperion.

You could buy 8 'D' cells and power up the motors that way to try them out. I found the D Cells seem to last forever.

Russ

Thanks for the info.

I have just turned up a couple of adapters to couple the Losmandy shafts to the EQ5 shafts and will give it a whirl to see how it goes. I have a feeling I will be out by about 2 : 1 in ratio looking at the size of the gear on the RA/DEC shafts The losmandt is 5 inch approx. and the EQ5 about 3 inch. If I can get some measurements I should be able to work out the gear ratio needed.

Peter

Archived