Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heritage 130P Dob...breakdown

I have ordered one of these from FLO as a grab n go for when I am in China. It will be waiting for me next week when I pitch up in the UK.

I do not want to put it as check in luggage for obvious reasons, plus the nice shiny box will attract unwanted attention by the rapacious officials that pass as cusotms officers in China.

So I will use a shoulder bag to carry the OTA as hand luggage but the base is the question.

Does it easily break into two parts? The rotating base and the arm...if so then I can put those pieces in my check in luggage.

I have ordered one of these from FLO as a grab n go for when I am in China. It will be waiting for me next week when I pitch up in the UK.

I do not want to put it as check in luggage for obvious reasons, plus the nice shiny box will attract unwanted attention by the rapacious officials that pass as cusotms officers in China.

So I will use a shoulder bag to carry the OTA as hand luggage but the base is the question.

Does it easily break into two parts? The rotating base and the arm...if so then I can put those pieces in my check in luggage.

Sounds like you are asking if the mount itself breaks into two parts (the rotating base and the arm).

Well I expect it would, there must be screws under the bottom section that screw upwards into the arm that has the dovetail receptor.

Only prob with that is if you do this several times, the holes in the particle board that take the screws, could maybe start to break up a bit.

One solution to that could be a piece of aluminium angle on the inside of where the arm attaches to the bottom section.  If the ali angle was semi permanently bolted to the bottom section, then attachment to the side arm could be with bolts & wing nuts, passing right through the arm & ali angle.  I'd use 4 to 6mm thick ali angle so it doesn't flex.

Probably loads of other options, but the above would work.

Please disregard if I've misunderstood what you asked.

Regards, Ed.

It is correct to say that the base and arm do not purposely breakdown into two separate pieces, but as Ed suggested,with a little bit of DIY, it could be done.

As far as i remember, there is no screw underneath that joins the arm to the base. I think it is constructed with one of those dove tail woodwork cuts and then glued. May need a bit of brute force to take apart.

It is correct to say that the base and arm do not purposely breakdown into two separate pieces, but as Ed suggested,with a little bit of DIY, it could be done.

As far as i remember, there is no screw underneath that joins the arm to the base. I think it is constructed with one of those dove tail woodwork cuts and then glued. May need a bit of brute force to take apart.

Thanks Paul, may not be as simple as my suggestion then. But there's probably a good method, if you are a DIY sort.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks Paul, may not be as simple as my suggestion then. But there's probably a good method, if you are a DIY sort.

Regards, Ed.

Im sure it can be done and those screws you linked to seem ideal. 

It wouldnt take much more then you suggested to break it down for travel purposes.

Head off for the UK tonight, so I will be able to see the mount on Wednesday. Luckily my father has a decent workshop in his garage so I will be able to see what I can do over next weekend, plus a visit to B&Q....

We have a B&Q down the road from us here in Shanghai but as far as nuts, bolts and bits n pieces in China they are useless. Chinese are not really into DIY...more like BIY (but it yourself) and pay someone to get their hands dirty and assemble it.

Have you thought about getting/building a little alt az head to go on a photo tripod?  that would be easier to transport.  I've used the heritage tube on a mini giro and a tripod and it works really nicely :smile:

Helen

Whatever I do must be China Customs proof.....

Mrs Baggy and I brought in stuff from  from Australia, just well used household goods etc,  and they were over it like rats at a rubbish dump...and no negotiation on what they decide is a fair (but fat) import fee.

Archived