Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Nebula I am sure

Stargazer 2013

I know there are quite a few posts about this but hey I think I found it :)

I didn't see any colours but I located Orons belt and looked for the second star , the middle one and saw like a grey mist.All the other stars next to it was clear so I must have seen it..I know its easy for most to see but seeing it for the first time was a great feeling..

edit:forgot to say I used a 130p heritage with a 25mm eyepiece used with a x2 barlow

Sorry to tell you this, but the Orion Nebula - well, the bright bit - isn't in the belt, but below that, in the sword:

post-28380-0-39302900-1391209286.png

You probably won't see colour - but it's no faint mist, but rather a big cloud with plenty of curving shape.

EDIT: Unless you mean you were looking for the middle star of the Sword, which would be right on...

yes I was looking at the sword,not the bright 3 stars ..It wasn't that clear to be honest but I did have a fare few drinks of my home made wine but was quite sober :)

I need to get the belt and the sword in right order lol

Your lucky to be able to view anything tonight with the weather. It's a lovely sight though.

andrew

Sure, then what you saw was definitely M42 (the Orion Nebula). On a steady night, look out for the faint E and F stars within the Trapezium. They're a little difficult to spot at first, but once you know where they are in relation the the main four stars, you'll spot them regularly.

Archived