NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Power Supply

Hi Guys,

I pick up my first scope at the weekend, Celestron 9.25. Comes with various items but no power tank/supply.

What do I need to look for in one of these and do you have any recommendations?

Firstly what mount will you be using with it? That will determine what supply is the most suitable. I own a C9.25 which I use on a CG5 and when I first got it I used the maplin 3 in 1 powertank that I originally got for my 127 SLT Mak. It worked ok with the Mak, but the CG5 was far too powerful and the 3 in 1 failed to cope. I then decided to get the Maplin XM31 12v mains power supply from FLO and I now have constant, reliable power to my scope all the time.

Obviously using mains electricity in damp conditions outside can be a recipe for disaster and potentially dangerous, but if you follow the guidance that I was taught which is keep the transformer in a plastic box with the lid laid on the top so the cables can enter/exit the box to protect it from the damp (do NOT fully close the lid), while allowing the heat generated from the transformer to dissipate. Also ensure that you keep the socket end on the cable extension inside the the plastic box along with the power supply to protect that from damp.

Luckily I have a mains power supply socket in my garden with a breaker and this is where I plug the other end of my power extension into. If you plan on running an extension from inside your house then for safety you 100% need a breaker just to be to be sure.

This how I do mine and it is a tried and trusted method. Other people will probably recommend leisure batteries. I cannot comment on them as I have never used them. If you are away from a mains supply then yes I could see them being a very good thing, but if you have mains electricity near to where you set up then I would go for the mains electricity everytime. 

I don't actually know what type of mount it is unless SGT XLT GOTO tells you? I won't have mains power available so will have to be some kind of battery power I guess. Are the ones Celestron sell not man enough/overpriced compared to places like Maplin?

I've had 3 of those jumpstarter type power supplies, two were no good after about 12 months and the last one was bought from costco, supposedly with an 18ah battery worked ok for a few months but now only lasts around an hour ,even though it was charged asap after use.

They're not really designed for long use just short sharp car starting 

I've now got a leisure battery 85 ah these are designed to be run for longer periods. If i'd got the leisure battery to start with I'd have saved some money and frustration when I ran out of power

I've had 3 of those jumpstarter type power supplies, two were no good after about 12 months and the last one was bought from costco, supposedly with an 18ah battery worked ok for a few months but now only lasts around an hour ,even though it was charged asap after use.

They're not really designed for long use just short sharp car starting 

I've now got a leisure battery 85 ah these are designed to be run for longer periods. If i'd got the leisure battery to start with I'd have saved some money and frustration when I ran out of power

Wise advice.

Archived