Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mains power supply for AZ EQ6 GT mount

nucleardwarf

Be careful about using that 4 way cig adapter, whilst got a 10a fuse, each port is only rated to 1a max each! Bit misleading, checked today in store.

There is another in store with 3 ports but each port rated to 4a, recommend that one

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you buy the lead from FLO ( it's a skywatcher lead ) then the tip is correct and the cables are colour coded. Just connect it to the right colours on the PSU. It's not rocket science is it?

The AZ-EQ6 used a 2 pin power plug, not the standard 2.5mm centre pin live......

Separate question for people, I got the 12v 5a supply, noticed the red light been flashing on mount when tracking/moving - im not powering anything but the mount with sw120ed so not heavy - didnt expect to be drawing too much current? ive bought a 10a supply now just so plenty more headroom-  not tested yet. anyone else noticed that? I know the spec says circa 12v 4a.......?

Separate question for people, I got the 12v 5a supply, noticed the red light been flashing on mount when tracking/moving - im not powering anything but the mount with sw120ed so not heavy - didnt expect to be drawing too much current? ive bought a 10a supply now just so plenty more headroom-  not tested yet. anyone else noticed that? I know the spec says circa 12v 4a.......?

The Spec says 11 - 16 volts 4 Amps, i would aim for more than 12 volts the 13.8 volt stable supplies would be better....

The flashing light is the problem I've had. At times it has gone worse when slewing, occasionally the mount stops and makes a nasty whining noise. I reckon it happens more when I have the dew heaters on high. This is with 13.8v and 20a, going to a 4 socket splitter. I have monitored the current and it rarely goes above 3a. I have looked in Maplin and 13.8v seems the standard for bench power supplies. Is this a UK issue? Are we underpowered?

With my homemade 12v power supply i couldn't even slew the mount; with the new 14.5v one there has never been any problems with flashing lights or a stalling mount. I can't advise on what the critical voltage is which clearly lays somewhere between the two values.

Jd

Thanks Jd, I will definitely get the mount on it's own dedicated supply. Hopefully that will solve this for me too. I see the apple laptops use 14.5v, I'll get one off ebay and stick a cigarette socket on that. The dew gear can use the 13.8v. I wonder if stable power will help the goto accuracy?

I asked the same question about power fluctuations and goto accuracy... I never got an answer i was convinced by.

The biggest way i found to improve the goto accuracy was to power off/on the mount after polar aligning and before star aligning.

Jd

I've just ordered a 15v 5a toshiba laptop charger from Amazon (£13.98), I will see how that does. Looking in the manual, p17 at the bottom, Skywatcher say - "When choosing an AC adapter, it is recommended to use a switching power supply with 15V output voltage and at least 3A output current." The operating range is 11V with 4A to 16V with 2.5A.

I've just ordered a 15v 5a toshiba laptop charger from Amazon (£13.98), I will see how that does. Looking in the manual, p17 at the bottom, Skywatcher say - "When choosing an AC adapter, it is recommended to use a switching power supply with 15V output voltage and at least 3A output current." The operating range is 11V with 4A to 16V with 2.5A.

Sounds good - let me know how it works out!

Be careful about using that 4 way cig adapter, whilst got a 10a fuse, each port is only rated to 1a max each! Bit misleading, checked today in store.

There is another in store with 3 ports but each port rated to 4a, recommend that one

Never found it to be a problem. It is the one sold by FLO.

The AZ-EQ6 used a 2 pin power plug, not the standard 2.5mm centre pin live......

Bound to be a lead available. Same technique applies though. We all run our mounts from the Maplins supplies as well as cameras, dew heaters and filter wheels. Steady regulated supply. We do have them connected to RCD breakers on site.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Just got in from trying out a new mains power supply. I did try a Toshiba laptop charger. It was rated 15v, tested at 15.25v. I connected it to a 12v socket at one end and an extension cord to a mains rcd plug at the other. I connected it up to the mount and got a small electric tingle from the tripod - according to cloudynights this is a known problem with Heq6 and AzEQ6, something to do with the earthing internally (?!!). So, I disconnected immediately and am not trying that again. Instead, a quick bit of crimping later, I connected the spare maplin 13.8v bench supply (from flo) as a dedicated mount supply. This was not shared with anything else. It worked fine, enough power as long as nothing else is attached. I tested the tripod to earth and found there was a small charge of 0.4-0.7v. So, I'm going to attach an earth lead, tripod to ground, for safety. This setup will do me for now.

Has anyone else in the UK had the tripod tingle?

Ian

Hi Ian , interesting point on the 'tingle' yes i did/do notice but haven't seen anyone else post about it yet (to my knowledge) on SGL (i dont really have time to search/use other forums :) ) . I use AZ EQ6 with maplin 10A 12v regulated mains adaptor. I think noticed this on my old EQ6 too when using mains. Guess there must be some sort of earth loop issue, although if there was a Health/Safety issue im sure we would have seen a product recall by now. Like you say always use an RCD and take adequate safety precautions should be ok. Jamie

Maybe it's part of the design - keeps us awake! I can't feel anything on the 13.8v, the multimeter detects it though. On 15.25v it was pretty unpleasant. The mount must have past some sort of testing - but perhaps it was with a 12v battery as there is no official Skywatcher mains power supply. Anyway, I am happy with it, as it seems to have solved the juddering slew issues. All I need to do now is get the gotos more accurate....

I've never noticed this, but my tripod legs are now covered in canvas 24/7 to keep the rain out, but I will put the multimeter on it and check sometime.

Is it just the tripod legs, or the mount body too?

Sounds a bit dodgy!

James

i'll test the mount head next time. It most likely will have it, as the tripod can only be getting this via the mount head. it's also there when the power is connected but the mount is switched off. At the end of last night I tested it with a near flat 12v battery and there was a bit of something, I can't now remember what it said, but it wasn't zero.

This the cloudynights thread.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6105590/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

Ian

About the tingling, I have that aswell on my NEQ6. My AC/DC adapter isn't earthed so this behaviour is expected. You might notice this aswell if you have for example an Iphone (or any phone with metal on it) and answer the phone while it's connected to the charger, sometimes you can feel a small tingling on your ear.

I'm considering replacing the adapter with standard 12V battery, the problem should go away. It also might help if you and the mount is insulated from "ground".

I find this all a bit disconcerting.

Imagine buying a washing machine or some other appliance and find that it "tingles" when touched, I don't think anyone should have to consider attempting home made grounding methods to resolve the issue, how many users are knowledgeable enough to firstly recognize the fault and then have the necessary ability to repair it?

As I am considering buying the Maplins power supply from FLO, am I going to experience this problem or is it wiser to stick with a battery supply which the thread on CN implies is the safest bet?

Archived