Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mains power supply for AZ EQ6 GT mount

nucleardwarf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something I'm also trying to get right at the moment. I have an Az-Eq6. I have tried 2 Maplin power supplies now and still experimenting. I've read somewhere that Skywatcher themselves say that as close to 15v as possible is what it needs. Even with constant 13.8v I still occasionally get the flashing red light - ie. power insufficient, and dodgy noises when slewing (with a C11). This is with a supply rated to 375w, 30A peak 25A constant. I am going to try next having the mount on a separate supply to the dew heaters and see if that helps. I'll let know how I get on.

Ian

This is something I'm also trying to get right at the moment. I have an Az-Eq6. I have tried 2 Maplin power supplies now and still experimenting. I've read somewhere that Skywatcher themselves say that as close to 15v as possible is what it needs. Even with constant 13.8v I still occasionally get the flashing red light - ie. power insufficient, and dodgy noises when slewing (with a C11). This is with a supply rated to 375w, 30A peak 25A constant. I am going to try next having the mount on a separate supply to the dew heaters and see if that helps. I'll let know how I get on.

Ian

Hi IanH,

This is an identical setup to mine, does it matter which way around the cables connect?  Strange that you are having issues with the mains supply as I currently only have the Celestron Power Pack and it runs well on this.

Mine runs perfectly well on 12v , only ever had issues when my 7Ah Powertank dropped below 10.6v , which is why I switched to mains power ...  :rolleyes:

If the SW mounts need 15v then you'd expect the SW powertanks to be 15v not 12v  ....   just a thought  ...   :smiley:

One issue that crops up is the "2.1mm" connector that plugs into the mount , the original one supplied with my mount was very loose fitting and the slightest breeze or slewing would lose the connection , I swapped the tip for a slightly different one with a snug fit and never been a problem since.

I'm no electrician - so I don't really understand this either. I have the power pack too and that doesn't have the same issues - until it runs down. I wonder whether the dew heater uses more heat than I think. I tried a 12v hair dryer the other night to get rid of some dew, while on a shared mains supply, that caused the mount to make a very odd whining noise, so I stopped. That's why I'm going to try 2 separate power supplies.

Ian

Mine runs perfectly well on 12v , only ever had issues when my 7Ah Powertank dropped below 10.6v , which is why I switched to mains power ...  :rolleyes:

If the SW mounts need 15v then you'd expect the SW powertanks to be 15v not 12v  ....   just a thought  ...   :smiley:

One issue that crops up is the "2.1mm" connector that plugs into the mount , the original one supplied with my mount was very loose fitting and the slightest breeze or slewing would lose the connection , I swapped the tip for a slightly different one with a snug fit and never been a problem since.

Hi Steve,

I believe the connections to your mount is different to the AZ EQ6?  On mine there is a non-standard two pin connector that is screwed in place.

Thanks,

What I am asking though is, when powering from the Maplins power supply (as previous members have indicated) does it matter what colour cable runs to which pin on the connector going to the mount?

Yes, get them wrong and your looking at a new Electronics Board....you may need to look inside the case to determine which is the positive pin to get them round the right way.....

You need to get the polarity right i suspect.

I run my azeq6 from a laptop charger which kicks out 14.5v (i think); i tried one which kicked out 12v but there wasn't enough umpf to power the mount.

Don't kill yourself or blow up the mount!

Having mains power at home is lovely.

James

Archived