Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A stolen hour with the grs and sirius

Rustysplit

I took advantage of a brief gap in the cloud and rain to get the 14" dob out in the back garden. The sky was looking very still and improving at about 7.30pm so I went for it, set up and left it to cool a bit while I eat my tea. Usually when I do this I come back out to orangey clouded skies, but not today!!

First port of call, Jupiter with 18mm Radian. A cracking crisp wide view with multiple bands showing and the GRS as an unexpected bonus. I upped the power to 14mm, and the King took it easily, more definition in the bands and the GRS starting to show some edge details. I pushed on through the 12mm, 10mm and ended up with my recently acquired 8mm Radian giving 225x. Wow!! without a doubt the best view I have ever had of Jupiter. So many subtle bands showing and the GRS showing lovely salmon pink hues and swirling in the edges in moments of perfect seeing. Stunning. I did not try pushing it anymore, this was just right as it was.

After reading John's et al's reports on splitting Sirius, I thought I would give it a go. For me Sirius is just above the rear fence line over the top of multiple houses, so not ideal. I followed John's tip, and tested the split on Rigel first. This split cleanly and clearly, so my hopes were raised. Onto Sirius and in the 18mm, then 14,12,10 and 8mm......... no split for me that I could lay claim to with any conscience. At around the 12/14mm mark, I thought I glimpsed a little speck, but I could not nail it down. Another time ....

So a quick look at the Trapezium area of the Orion nebula. At 14mm the detail in the swirling clouds was mesmerising, and the 4 stars were clearly accompanied by the E and F stars. On the horizon I could see the orange glow of the clouds returning, so a final look at Jupiter, just in time to see the end of the GRS transit.

It may have been a snatched hour, but it was a damn good session none the less.

Nice session Alan - that "speck" might just have been the Pup star - thats all it looks like and it does come and go with the seeing.

I did put a small scope out tonight in the hope of seeing the supernova again but the cloud cover here has been 70% or more all evening and it's lightly drizzling now.

I'm glad you got a clear patch though  :smiley:

I had completely forgotten that I had also looked at the SN in m82 John, doh! Nice and bright and easily seen. My first one too. I will have a good go at the pup the next chance I get. I was not at all convinced tonight.

You are so right about trench foot. My poor lawn is not looking so great and it gets worse every time I set up.

Archived