NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trees

Space Dragon

I woke up today to the sound of chainsaws. Not in the house thankfully.

After making some coffee, I looked out the back to see some big trees coming down in a garden two doors down.

I had been dodging these trees for the past few years, they were in the Southern sky and this meant having to stay up past midnight to get a glimpse of Orion.....it's also my darkest horizon.

Living in a Conservation Area doesn't help when it comes to lopping or even thinning out as the Council can plain refuse permission in some cases.

But a couple of years ago, I took a couple of smaller trees down in my own garden, this got my neighbour thinking and he did the same and then his neighbour then did these really big ones today.

I had wrestled with going and asking them to take them down but giving a reason like "so I can see more of Orion" doesn't really cut it with most people.....so I didn't.

But by setting things in motion, we got there in the end with no hassle or bad feeling....can't believe it.

And while I like trees and will miss them in the Summer months, I like a clear Southern Sky better....:-)

Last year I took down 2 trees that were blocking my view of Polaris, that was a great help (though polar alignment was still possible in Winter with no leaves on the trees, in summer it was a problem). Also, a high hedge at the back was reduced in height by 6ft so I have a much better view of the E horizon. Having neighbours I do still like to have some screening though.

ChrisH

Archived