Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

viewing Neptune's moon, Triton.

bomberbaz

I have tried to view the moon (14.15) before but failed. I think it was a case of too much lp and iffy seeing conditions.

I got the nice blue airy disc of Neotune itself and was at about 200 x but no moon. However thinking about it, adverted vision needed maybe?

So has anyone ever managed to bag Triton. if so, what were the conditions and magnification please!

tia, steve

Well plenfy of views but no replies. Strange but I thought this moon would have been a fairly popular object to tfy to hit, maybe mybassumption is incorrect.

ok can I try another question regarding this, is a object ext to 14.15 goung to be reasonably viewable from a dark or darkish site with a 12 dob. Not sure myself as I am still gettoing to grips with this part of the hobby.

Hi Steve,

Looks a challenge too far to me but I'm no expert. By comparison Io is 1.2arc seconds and a visual magnitude of 5.5. Triton is 0.1arc seconds and a visual magnitude of 13.8. So presumably you'd need a big aperture in a dark sky.

Cheers Scooot n thanks for reply. I managed the 11 ish SN in M82 from a serious LP'D garden and so thinking a good dark sight with a 12" would be achievable, not sure of the sciencecthough so maybe I am barkingvup a wrong un.

Here is a Sky & Telescope article on observing Triton which includes a little applet that will show you where it is in relation to Neptune:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/javascript/13795272.html

At mag 13.5 its going to be borderline for me but maybe possible if everything comes together. I have spotted a mag 13.7 supernova from my back garden but it was somewhat dim !

Got it in a buddies 16" Dob a couple of years back.

I think we were using a 17mm ethos + 2" Powermate in if I recall. I think that's about 220x in a 400p. But I may be wrong on the eyepiece used.

It could have been my 12mm Nagler + 2" Powermate (about 300x) its got me wondering now :D

The only thing I'm sure is 16" Dob with 2" Powermate eyepiece combo.

Not much help really am I

Archived