Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 heaven.

CumbrianGadgey

You may be aware that I've got a new (used) scope, since I was banging on about it last night!

I'd just like to add that for all the extra 70mm of aperture is a big improvement (how could it not be?) but after 4 hours of freezing myself to the point I thought I was going to have to hibernate, it was not the most noticeable benefit.

That came from the mount, EQ5 as opposed to EQ2. I could locate my targets faster, I could focus on them quicker and it was not a case of needing six foot arms to view while adjusting RA. There was not the judder if I so much as blinked an eyelash against the eyecup. I did not run out of adjustment on declination.

The mount made the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

I wonder how many people have been put off astronomy by hours of groping blindly for a flex-cable that they know is there somewhere, or having to watch a blurred planet sailing several times across their field of view before they finally get it focused?

For astronomy, both visual and imaging - the mount is king.

Without a reasonable mount even the best optics will be pants.

Glad you're enjoying the EQ5, I've had one of them and they are a nice mount.

Cheers

Ant

Hi guys,

I was bidding on that setup too Dark :laugh: , gave up because it was so far to go to pick it up. Hope you really enjoy it you've got a pretty complete start there from what I've read.

Cheers dROU. I'm sure another will be on closer to you. I've bidded on 3 different 200p's on ebay in the last 2 weeks. That 1 was only 20 minutes away from me so I bid a bit extra to save on fuel. Hope you find one and I will let you know how I get on (pick it up Saturday)

Yup - the EQ5 or CG5 mounts do away with any vibration experienced on lighter mounts. I always recommend these unless budget is prohibitive. Even a second hand one is far better than a brand new smaller mount for improving the observing (or imaging) experience. And you can get the mount for around £100 s/h (give or take a tenner) and pop most any of the smaller ota's up to 8" aperture on it. Congrats on a nice purchase! :)

I started off with an EQ5 pro & loved it but I did upgrade to an NEQ6 & sold the EQ5 on which was a daft mistake as I wish that I hadn't. I did get given an older manual EQ5 last year & for a spot of manual star hopping it's still a great mount so I won't be parting with this one anytime soon. I do find the slow motion knobs a bit fiddly to find though especially as everything is black so not easy to see but then that's just being a little picky.

531720_10151395991813434_456596543_n.jpg

Archived