Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light and images with 150pds

Took delivery of a SW 150pds on Tuesday and last night there were some more or less clear skies to try it out :smiley:. It was an upgrade of an ST-80 which has been really good for learning on. But my HEQ5 deserved something bigger and better!

I took 20 x 30s subs of M44 at ISO 800 of which 18 were stacked in DSS. I included darks and flats. I have a cls-ccd fitted which helps with the dreadful Glasgow lp. I've done some 120s subs (not M44) but not sure if the lp will overwhelm any longer exposures. Anyway, I processed the stacked M44 image using Startools. I only have a demo version at the moment so the images below are screen snips :rolleyes: . I've done my best but appreciate I really need to spend more time and effort learning how to do the processing properly. I gave them a final tweak in Paint.NET... Brought out some faint stars at the expense of some bloating :tongue: :

post-33532-0-15727800-1390580449_thumb.j

M44 / Praesepe post Startools - full image

post-33532-0-55661600-1390580450_thumb.j

Full Image tweaked

post-33532-0-16245000-1390580445_thumb.j

50 per cent zoom

post-33532-0-16245000-1390580445_thumb.j

50 per cent zoom tweaked

post-33532-0-99618600-1390580445_thumb.j

66 per cent zoom

post-33532-0-27610700-1390580448_thumb.j

100 per cent zoom

As I say, I have a lot to learn with the processing and any constructive criticism gratefully received!

So far I'm very pleased with the 150pds - no CA! There is some obvious coma and maybe I'll get a coma corrector at some point. The scope sits nicely on the Heq5 and I'm looking forward to having lots more fun with it - clear skies permitting, of course!

Louise

post-33532-0-38482600-1390580447_thumb.j

Looks like you are off to a great start i have bad LP too but it suprises me sometimes how much data that can be dragged out from an overexposed set of subs.

Alan

Thanks Alan

I should point out it's not my first go at imaging - I've been practising with the ST-80 since I got it in early December. I think I'll do an experiment to see how long I can expose for at a given ISO to see what the limits are with the 150pds.

O for dark skies! But unfortunately I'm not mobile so have to make do. Still, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and hope to improve my technique as I gain more experience.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

If you could post an unmolested tiff or fits file  ( drop Box ) I  could have a go with StarTools and perhaps post the log file, I am not too bad with StarTools as it is my main image processing software, still trying to learn PI.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Louise,

If you could post an unmolested tiff or fits file  ( drop Box ) I  could have a go with StarTools and perhaps post the log file, I am not too bad with StarTools as it is my main image processing software, still trying to learn PI.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Lensman57

Ok, thanks, great! So I just signed up for dropbox... Its very slow to upload....

Right, hope I've done this correctly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adh2av2hypv5uu3/Praesepe_%20Copy.FTS

I've had a few goes with Startools and it seems quite powerful albeit not very intuitive. I've not found the video tutorials very informative - I like to know exactly what I'm doing and why. I tried making a star mask and stuff on another image and also the 'repair' function to make stars round but honestly that seems like cheating! 

I'm sure there's more detail in the above image that could be brought out and look forward to seeing what you can do. 

Thanks again

Louise

Hi Lensman57

Ok, thanks, great! So I just signed up for dropbox... Its very slow to upload....

Right, hope I've done this correctly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adh2av2hypv5uu3/Praesepe_%20Copy.FTS

I've had a few goes with Startools and it seems quite powerful albeit not very intuitive. I've not found the video tutorials very informative - I like to know exactly what I'm doing and why. I tried making a star mask and stuff on another image and also the 'repair' function to make stars round but honestly that seems like cheating! 

I'm sure there's more detail in the above image that could be brought out and look forward to seeing what you can do. 

Thanks again

Louise

Good Morning Louise,

Thank you for taking the trouble of posting the stack. I had a quick play with it in ST and a bit of olour saturation in PS. You have done very well with the processing, The only point that I'd make is to try and do a repair job in ST with a star mask, using the "Repair " module  then use the single pixel off mode in the masking mode to separate the  close double stars, where they have been joined together by the green pixels, then use the second algorithm ,"Core is average Location" to tighten up the stars a bit as the focus is a little soft.  You can then use the "Magic module" to shrink the stars and then do a final  adjustment in the "Colour" module to boost the colours a bit. The result is more subtle than dramatic but it makes a difference. Hope you approve and I  am sure that you will get the hang of it very quickly, ST is a hell of a software.  I also got the delievery of a 150 PDS last week and after collimating it I am still waiting to give it a go due to the lovely Manchester weather.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-43638600-1390650649_thumb.p

May be a tweak on the focus.

Thought you would be able to see STF 1254B and S 571E.

Here is an image to show where they are, my image is just 1x16sec at ISO800 Canon 60Da.

m44anal2.jpg

Hi

Thanks for posting your image. I don't think the loss of resolution is a focussing issue, I think it's more likely caused by star bloat which in turn is probably caused by relatively long exposures, stacking and poor seeing. I've taken lots of images of M44 with just my canon and 300mm lens and also with my ST-80 and haven't resolved the particular stars you mention. It might be possible to achieve the resolution in my image with Startools but I'd have to have a closer look. Clear, dark skies would be very helpful too!

Cheers

Louise

Good Morning Louise,

Thank you for taking the trouble of posting the stack. I had a quick play with it in ST and a bit of olour saturation in PS. You have done very well with the processing, The only point that I'd make is to try and do a repair job in ST with a star mask, using the "Repair " module  then use the single pixel off mode in the masking mode to separate the  close double stars, where they have been joined together by the green pixels, then use the second algorithm ,"Core is average Location" to tighten up the stars a bit as the focus is a little soft.  You can then use the "Magic module" to shrink the stars and then do a final  adjustment in the "Colour" module to boost the colours a bit. The result is more subtle than dramatic but it makes a difference. Hope you approve and I  am sure that you will get the hang of it very quickly, ST is a hell of a software.  I also got the delievery of a 150 PDS last week and after collimating it I am still waiting to give it a go due to the lovely Manchester weather.

Regards,

A.G

Good Morning Louise,

Regards,

A.G

Hi again

Thanks for doing that and for the advice. I'll have to purchase a Startools licence so I can save the processed images properly then I'll have a more in-depth play with it. You'll enjoy the 150pds! We'll have to start a dedicated 150pds forum! Ha ha. I didn't collimate mine - I checked it with a Cheshire and it looked ok so decided to leave well alone... Having said that, I'm not sure how a slight collimation error would manifest itself? (This is my first newt). Most of the stars in my image seem quite round and clear without using the ST repair. I've seen on their tutorial video how to separate merged stars so will have to try that.

Do you have a lp filter? Mine makes a huge difference! I wish I could transport myself to a dark or darker skies site place but that's not possible so I have to live with the Glasgow lp and murk :sad: . Oh well.

Cheers

Louise

Hi again

Thanks for doing that and for the advice. I'll have to purchase a Startools licence so I can save the processed images properly then I'll have a more in-depth play with it. You'll enjoy the 150pds! We'll have to start a dedicated 150pds forum! Ha ha. I didn't collimate mine - I checked it with a Cheshire and it looked ok so decided to leave well alone... Having said that, I'm not sure how a slight collimation error would manifest itself? (This is my first newt). Most of the stars in my image seem quite round and clear without using the ST repair. I've seen on their tutorial video how to separate merged stars so will have to try that.

Do you have a lp filter? Mine makes a huge difference! I wish I could transport myself to a dark or darker skies site place but that's not possible so I have to live with the Glasgow lp and murk :sad: . Oh well.

Cheers

Louise

Thanks Louise,

I use an IDAS LP2, at times it is magic and at other times nct so effective in particular as recently my neighbour, a doctors surgery have installed half a dozen security lights, the slightest breeze and these come on, usually in the middle of imaging. You got lucky  with your 150, mine was way off so I had to take the spider out and start from scratch, the focuser also has problems that I have sorted out as yet.

A.G

Thanks Louise,

I use an IDAS LP2, at times it is magic and at other times nct so effective in particular as recently my neighbour, a doctors surgery have installed half a dozen security lights, the slightest breeze and these come on, usually in the middle of imaging. You got lucky  with your 150, mine was way off so I had to take the spider out and start from scratch, the focuser also has problems that I have sorted out as yet.

A.G

Hi again

I have an Astronomik clip cls-ccd filter. There are arc lights at an all-weather pitch nearby which don't go out until after 10pm. When they're on they seem to light up the whole area. But even when they're off it never gets dark here. With the naked eye I can only see a handful of the brightest stars... Sigh. Sorry you have probs with your scope - I'm surprised the collimation was so far out. What's wrong with the focusser? Mine seems ok - it's many magnitudes better than the ST-80 one! It's usually the poor seeing that limits precise focussing here - or could be my lack of expertise! There were relatively clear skies back in November when there were some frosts. Since then it's been mostly rubbish! Looks like I'll have to be patient.

Cheers

Louise

May be a tweak on the focus.

Thought you would be able to see STF 1254B and S 571E.

Here is an image to show where they are, my image is just 1x16sec at ISO800 Canon 60Da.

m44anal2.jpg

Hi again Mike

I was looking again at your image and just realised it was annotated. Barely visible on my screen but wondered how you did that? Was it via astrometry.net? Apparently it's possible to do in Astrotortilla but I've not figured out how. I've only been able to get it's output images annotated with the triangles. Would like to know how to get star annotation and star lists - useful sometimes. At the moment I put some images on Flickr and submit them to the astrometry.net group but it would be handy to be able to do it locally.

Cheers

Louise

Hi again

I have an Astronomik clip cls-ccd filter. There are arc lights at an all-weather pitch nearby which don't go out until after 10pm. When they're on they seem to light up the whole area. But even when they're off it never gets dark here. With the naked eye I can only see a handful of the brightest stars... Sigh. Sorry you have probs with your scope - I'm surprised the collimation was so far out. What's wrong with the focusser? Mine seems ok - it's many magnitudes better than the ST-80 one! It's usually the poor seeing that limits precise focussing here - or could be my lack of expertise! There were relatively clear skies back in November when there were some frosts. Since then it's been mostly rubbish! Looks like I'll have to be patient.

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise,

The focuser was loose in its housing when I opened the box. the locking grub screw was not tight so the shaft was in effect floating around, I took the tube out adjusted all the screws and put it back in, it now holds the weight of the coma corrector and the CCD reasonably well but these is an issue as it bottoms out, it apperas that the shaft looses contact with the draw tube to the last mm or so is a no go at the moment. will have to take it out and have a good look at it again.

A.G

Hi Louise,

The focuser was loose in its housing when I opened the box. the locking grub screw was not tight so the shaft was in effect floating around, I took the tube out adjusted all the screws and put it back in, it now holds the weight of the coma corrector and the CCD reasonably well but these is an issue as it bottoms out, it apperas that the shaft looses contact with the draw tube to the last mm or so is a no go at the moment. will have to take it out and have a good look at it again.

A.G

That's annoying! My focus locking screw was loose-ish but not that bad! I don't have a coma corrector - might get one at some point. I initially expected to connect my canon 1100d via a 1 1/4" adapter but found I couldn't focus then realised I could attach it directly to the focuser with just a t-ring so all ok.

Hope you get yours sorted ok.  Weather forecast is rubbish for everyone in the west of the uk for the next few days, maybe even a week :(

Louise

Hi again Mike

I was looking again at your image and just realised it was annotated. Barely visible on my screen but wondered how you did that? Was it via astrometry.net? Apparently it's possible to do in Astrotortilla but I've not figured out how. I've only been able to get it's output images annotated with the triangles. Would like to know how to get star annotation and star lists - useful sometimes. At the moment I put some images on Flickr and submit them to the astrometry.net group but it would be handy to be able to do it locally.

Cheers

Louise

I just put the text in with my editing software.

That image was for the double star imaging section and I used the Aladin app and SIMBAD to

find the info about the stars and doubles, took a bit of research as sometimes the info does'nt pan out. 

Like yourself I'm only in the imaging learning stage, just wish the clouds would give us a break.

It's nice to see someone else interested in clusters, think my favorite so far being M35.

Looks like you will get some great images with your new scope.

Mike

I just put the text in with my editing software.

That image was for the double star imaging section and I used the Aladin app and SIMBAD to

find the info about the stars and doubles, took a bit of research as sometimes the info does'nt pan out. 

Like yourself I'm only in the imaging learning stage, just wish the clouds would give us a break.

It's nice to see someone else interested in clusters, think my favorite so far being M35.

Looks like you will get some great images with your new scope.

Mike

Ah, ok though I think it might be possible to annotate automatically like in Flickr/Astrometry.net. I'll have to see what I can find.

I did an image of M35 last week with my ST-80 (unguided) and then one of M67 (guided) the next day.

Here they are:

Neither has been processed properly - I just did level adjustments in paint.net. I'll maybe revisit them with Startools, if I get the time...

Ah, ok though I think it might be possible to annotate automatically like in Flickr/Astrometry.net. I'll have to see what I can find.

I did an image of M35 last week with my ST-80 (unguided) and then one of M67 (guided) the next day.

Here they are:

Neither has been processed properly - I just did level adjustments in paint.net. I'll maybe revisit them with Startools, if I get the time...

That's annoying! My focus locking screw was loose-ish but not that bad! I don't have a coma corrector - might get one at some point. I initially expected to connect my canon 1100d via a 1 1/4" adapter but found I couldn't focus then realised I could attach it directly to the focuser with just a t-ring so all ok.

Hope you get yours sorted ok.  Weather forecast is rubbish for everyone in the west of the uk for the next few days, maybe even a week :(

Louise

Thanks louise,

We are supposed to have a clear spell of about 3 or 4 hours before more rain arrives on Sunday Morning but so far it has been cloudy, today we had torrential rain, sleet, hail and thunder. Great for observing or imaging.

A.G

Here they are:

attachicon.gifM35-redo_80pc.jpg

attachicon.gifM67_40pc.jpg

Processing......now thats another ball game.

I have'nt got into real processing yet, just mess about with images in Irfanview and Canon DPP.

Could'nt decide on processing software but finally settled on Images Plus by Mike Unsold.

It should do everything I need for dslr images, now all I have to do is learn to use it.

Archived