pipp to sort out the frames

auto stakkert to stack

registax 6 for wavelets

PS for final tinkering

8" SCT 2.5 powermate DMK21 camera

561add0aff853eefb1d8a27ac0564a83.1824x0_

Steve

That's a nice image, well processed! :)

It'd be interesting to see you using AS!2 without PIPP and just deciding how many frames to stack from AS!2's "Analysis" without applying some other software's arbitrary frame quality precursor.....nothing against PIPP but I personally believe AS!2 functions best that way - it'd be interesting anyway to see a specific (say) "best 1000" frames either way...as long as you set the MAPs boxes reasonably well! :)

I use PIPP for processing my avi files first.  With the ASI120 I get the occasional "torn" frame and AS!2 really doesn't seem to handle those at all well.  I only drop perhaps five frames at most from every run of 4500 frames.  It's handy for cropping the frame size down, too.  Other than that I'd agree, give them all to AS!2.

The only time I really use the quality measurement in PIPP is for full disc solar and lunar where it makes dropping frames partially obscured by cloud quite easy.  Stacking those is a different game though.

James

... a "torn" frame usually means a slight malfunction (usually/hopefully momentary) where the image is actually split in half - but evidently frame deselection can be enabled in AS!2 to get rid of these frames as long as there's only a few...and if there's more that is a worry! :(

"Evidently" as I've never used it but folks do employ it from reports... ;)

AS!2 has no prblems with the image disappearing offscreen regularly as it was during the Saturn captures for me the other day - it really is a very robust program but selecting a good MAPs box layout does make quite a difference to the outcome!

... a "torn" frame usually means a slight malfunction (usually/hopefully momentary) where the image is actually split in half - but evidently frame deselection can be enabled in AS!2 to get rid of these frames as long as there's only a few...and if there's more that is a worry! :(

"Evidently" as I've never used it but folks do employ it from reports... ;)

AS!2 has no prblems with the image disappearing offscreen regularly as it was during the Saturn captures for me the other day - it really is a very robust program but selecting a good MAPs box layout does make quite a difference to the outcome!

I'll look into that.  I get broken frames if the USB Traffic setting is too high, but I don't think I can set it any lower than it already is.  Could be that my laptop just can't keep up.  I found that AS!2 was then deciding that the damaged frame formed part of the image I wanted stacking.

James

Archived