Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

red dot finders

Dear all,

this is just a quick question regarding my cheap and cheerful little red dot finderscope on the Skywatcher 130.

I am considering a second scope, either the 200p or 250p Skywatcher Newtonian, both of which use conventional spotter scopes.

Now, despite some adverse comments about the red dot finders, I love mine!

It is easy to set up and I have no difficulty using it at all. I point the red dot at an object, look through the EP and hey presto, there it is, nicely in the centre of the field of view.

The question is, can I mount my little red dot finder on either or both of my proposed telescopes?

Hiya,

I agree with you, those red dot finders are great, I also have a telrad but never use it! Only because it seemed too big on the 130. You might want to consider one for the larger newts.

I don't know the answer for definite, but the 'shoe' on the 9x50 finder of the 200p looks exactly the same as the red dot finder from the 130p. Looking at the accessories section on the FLO website ( http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/page/1/ ) it seems to suggest Skywatcher and Celestron use standard fittings for the finders

I have an SW 120 Startravel refractor that comes with a red dot finder. I interchange it with the optical finder from my 200p Dob ... Both finders fit the recess slots on both scopes.

I also have a Telrad on the Dob and find it most useful.

I like the red dot on my SLT. Have a telrad on the dob but due to weather haven

't had  chance to use it yet. The mounts are the same on the dob as they are on the SLT so I can swap raci with the dot if I choose to.

My only gripe about the rdf is how flimsy it is made. I'm strongly considering going to the local sporting goods store and buying a red dot that is made for a rifle. Something similar to this.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sightmark-sure-shot-reflex-sight/0000000081635

Hiya,

I agree with you, those red dot finders are great, I also have a telrad but never use it! Only because it seemed too big on the 130. You might want to consider one for the larger newts.

I don't know the answer for definite, but the 'shoe' on the 9x50 finder of the 200p looks exactly the same as the red dot finder from the 130p. Looking at the accessories section on the FLO website ( http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/page/1/ ) it seems to suggest Skywatcher and Celestron use standard fittings for the finders

Looks good

I have an SW 120 Startravel refractor that comes with a red dot finder. I interchange it with the optical finder from my 200p Dob ... Both finders fit the recess slots on both scopes.

I also have a Telrad on the Dob and find it most useful.

Looks like I'll have plenty of options.

Cheers

't had  chance to use it yet. The mounts are the same on the dob as they are on the SLT so I can swap raci with the dot if I choose to.

My only gripe about the rdf is how flimsy it is made. I'm strongly considering going to the local sporting goods store and buying a red dot that is made for a rifle. Something similar to this.

Yes, my red dot is very insubstantial ... I find it too easy to knock it out of alignment when it's on the scope. Telrad much more solid ... But much, much bulkier of course.

Mine, too. I'm extremely careful with it and it doesn't go out of alignment too often but it is terribly weak.

That's a good idea. If they are as cheap here, they certainly look to be worth a try, so long as it can be adjusted for brightness.

It will make the scope look mean!

Be careful with rifle RDFs - they will be coated with some orange/yellow/red **** that will make them un-suitable for night/astronomy purposes (guess how did I find this out ... :evil: )

See here

It's a good thing to keep in mind. If it doesn't work on my scope, It will find a nice home on my turkey hunting shotgun.  :grin:

I fitted an extrs dovetail shoe to my lightbridge so I can run my red dot and raci finder side by side. Makes finding miles easier as its difficult to aim the scope in the right direction with just the raci.

I saw the supernova in m82 through a gap in the clouds the other night with my 200p but only after swapping the finder for the red dot as the finder just wasnt helping. So im now considering a second dovetail shoe for my 200p just to accommodate the red dot when needed.

cheers

Hi astromonkey, I'll let you decide if it is a better system or not, but the telrad finder attaches to the scope with sticky pads, so will not require any mods to fit.

I did see on a website a double shoe adapter that will replace the existing one (or attach into it), but whilst trying to find it again I can only find a triple one!

Hi astromonkey, I'll let you decide if it is a better system or not, but the telrad finder attaches to the scope with sticky pads, so will not require any mods to fit.

I did see on a website a double shoe adapter that will replace the existing one (or attach into it), but whilst trying to find it again I can only find a triple one!

many thanks for the suggestions. I had considered a telrad but the bulk of the unit makes it difficult to fit side by side with a finder on the 200p tube although it can be done. On my 16 inch the problem was keeping the red dot and finder close enough to the focusser to make them easy to reach when in use.

As for the double shoe, I had seen on of these in the back of one of the magazines but I think they were a silly price, when a single is only about £6 from FLO.

cheers

Archived