NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 18/1/2014

Mike73

Once again my clear skies coincided with 'the boring side' of Jupiter which turned out to be no so boring after all, there wasn't a ton of detail to show but I packed up feeling confident that what detail was on show I managed to record but maybe there isn't actually very much to see at the longitudes? Time will tell when I compare my sketch to some images later today.

Sketch notes

Both polar regions showed roughly the same contrast and brightness.

The NNTB was faint and merged with the NPR.

Two dark patches of festoons either side of the CM with one large hooked shape festoon branching out into the EZ..

The SEB showed a diagonal strip which stopped before reaching the SEBn/SEBs.

Dark oval spotted on the STB(?).

post-20821-0-49753000-1390124107_thumb.j

very nice detail mike. i in contradiction to most find Jupiter more interesting and  gives me more wow factor than Saturn :icon_eek: . i tried sketching Jupiter once and (in the words of Jeremy Clarkson)  " it didn't go well" :grin: .  but its a fascinating planet for surface detail. 

how long did you spend on that sketch ?  was it all at the e/p ?

Thanks Jules.

Rory

I spent about 2 hours observing Jupiter last night but the sketch only took about 15 minutes. Jupiter rotates quickly and you haven't got a lot of time to sketch before you lose some of the features so a quick sketch is made at the EP with all sorts of scribblings and notes attached then a 'cleaner' sketch is made inside. I haven't quite mastered the 'cleaner' sketch part yet but its as accurate as I can make it at the moment. :)

It is a tough object to observe and sketch but as its always changing it should be interesting comparing my Jupiter sketches this time next year just to see how much the planet has changed.

Another good realistic and subtle interpretation as to what is possible to see, 'tease out' at the eyepiece Mike.

Perhaps BBC Stargazing Live 2015, ought to represent this strand of amateur astronomy - observing / sketching, by including a feature, in addition to a sketch or two shown in the round up, alongside photographs. Besides conveying a truer account of what our eyes / mind and optics are capable of absorbing, it would also inform, in terms of expectations, the wider public prior to the many who  attend one of the large organised outreach society events. Don't know if some kind of petition / proposal suggestion ought to be started on this forum and presented to the program makers?

Archived