Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Repair / Modify Celstron SCT

Tommohawk

Hi all.

I've got the chance to pick up a Celestron 8" SCT. Snag is, the plate has smashed,and the mirror has some chips. I spoke to the suppliers re repair, and I dont think it's cost effective.

Being a glutton for punishment, I can't help but think I could do something clever with it. I looked at converting it to a sub-aperture or similar, but I just dont know enough about the optics.

Anybody got any ideas please? Maybe I should pass on this.

Thanks

Tom

Hi M

ahhhh, I was being coy - didnt want to give anything away! Yes, that one! Its in Eastbourne, and I work there so was going to ave a look before bidding. Haven't had time though.

What do yo think? Any ideas.... that you might want to share!!?

Tom

So if the corrector is smashed and the mirror is chipped you've basically got a waste paper bin :)

I'd unmount the OTA. put a solid base in instead of the corrector, line it with polystyrene, remove the backplate, take off the mirror carriage and baffle and hinge the backplate so it lifts up and down and use it as a novelty drinks cooler for star parties.

I wouldn't pay £30 for it though.  They'd do well not to have to pay me to take it away.

James

Hi,

I would go for it, the wedge alone on the tripod is worth around £60 to £70, it looks like a meade wedge too, with a modified adapter plate to take the Celestron, you ought to go and take a look.

That's my advice anyway

MM

Archived