NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fork mounts and imaging

For Lunar and planetary imaging with a fast frame rate camera - yes

For deep sky imaging and longer exposures - NO!!

I suspected as much... Just slightly confused as to why anyone would buy an f10 scope on a mount that you couldn't image anything but planets with. I wondered if they were sophisticated enough to compete with equatorials even though that's contrary to all the theory I've read.

I suspected as much... Just slightly confused as to why anyone would buy an f10 scope on a mount that you couldn't image anything but planets with. I wondered if they were sophisticated enough to compete with equatorials even though that's contrary to all the theory I've read.

Well, they generally don't.  Large EQ mounts are best for imaging, Alt/Az - fork and dobsonian - mounts are for visual (best used for, anyway).  When it comes to imaging speed is king, not necessarily aperture, so faster (lower) f numbers will usually trump a slow big scope.

Plenty of people (myself included) have F10 scopes or more (one of mine is F11). I am not into imaging but the scope gives me amazing views of the planets. Sure it is an EQ mount which allows for imaging, but ive never imaged with it. 

If you are into imaging then the mount is more important then the scope. If you are a visual observer then the scope is more important then the mount.

Well, they generally don't.  Large EQ mounts are best for imaging, Alt/Az - fork and dobsonian - mounts are for visual (best used for, anyway).  When it comes to imaging speed is king, not necessarily aperture, so faster (lower) f numbers will usually trump a slow big scope.

Depends what you are imaging. Planetary needs large aperture and long FL.

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking to buy my first telescope after 30 years casual interest using binoculars.  I'm a graphic designer by trade and interested in photography so imaging is important to me so I'm keen to get nice pictures to share on social media, flckr, instagram, etc but I'm keen to find a good balance between observing, imaging and suburban light pollution. The sea is directly to the south of me so I have some relatively unpolluted sky SE,S,SW and W but I can't see The Milky Way unassisted.

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking to buy my first telescope after 30 years casual interest using binoculars.  I'm a graphic designer by trade and interested in photography so imaging is important to me so I'm keen to get nice pictures to share on social media, flckr, instagram, etc but I'm keen to find a good balance between observing, imaging and suburban light pollution. The sea is directly to the south of me so I have some relatively unpolluted sky SE,S,SW and W but I can't see The Milky Way unassisted.

Sounds like you need/want an EQ mount with a scope that will also deliver on views through the EP.

Sounds like you need/want an EQ mount with a scope that will also deliver on views through the EP.

Does EP mean eye piece? Yes guess I want the best of both worlds or at least a scope with a good mount that I can upgrade later. Was looking at Dobsonians but the lack of imaging capabilities put me off. I'm aware that one scope isn't good at everything but my budget dictates that I need to find some middle ground if I can.

Does EP mean eye piece? Yes guess I want the best of both worlds or at least a scope with a good mount that I can upgrade later. Was looking at Dobsonians but the lack of imaging capabilities put me off. I'm aware that one scope isn't good at everything but my budget dictates that I need to find some middle ground if I can.

Yes, EP is shorthand here for eyepiece. I dont think there is one scope that does all (if so...........where can i buy one). Its a case of finding a happy medium. As you are interested in imaging................you are/should be looking for something on an EQ (Equatorial) mount. Then, a scope that has good optics which will let you do imaging and also visual observing. 

The Skywatcher Explorer 130P is a popular choice. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html

The motorised version is more expensive (obviously).

Archived