Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second hand ep's

Knockoffnige

As John says, Astro B&S is your best bet. All my eyepieces apart from the Delos and the 6mm BG Ortho are secondhand and I feel I have saved myself hundreds. If you're cautious and don't use the gift option on pay-pal, ebay also crops up from time to time with some nice finds.

I have used the site a number of times and although I am in Bulgaria I would not buy from outside the UK, the only problem I had was with an overseas sale from your point of view, when anything goes wrong it is so much more difficult to deal with. I have never had a problem with things from the UK.

However I would always deal with SGL site members.

Alan.

Hi,

you could also get the seben/Orbinar, Plössl, decent for the price, they cost about 7 to 15gbp/9 to 17 Euro. If you order them at their site or Amazon it's a bit cheaper then their "free" shipping at eBay.

Under 10mm Plössl have a very uncomfortable, short eye relief. Some find the 6.5mm ok, some Don't.

The 66 Degree wide angle eyepieces with the golden ring cost 27gbp shipped in the UK, 18 gpb or so from aliexpress. I am not sure about the import/tax free value over there, here it's just under that limit.

I only browsed your profile quickly, what's your telescope? A 114 900?

Hi,

you could also get the seben/Orbinar, Plössl, decent for the price, they cost about 7 to 15gbp/9 to 17 Euro. If you order them at their site or Amazon it's a bit cheaper then their "free" shipping at eBay.

Under 10mm Plössl have a very uncomfortable, short eye relief. Some find the 6.5mm ok, some Don't.

The 66 Degree wide angle eyepieces with the golden ring cost 27gbp shipped in the UK, 18 gpb or so from aliexpress. I am not sure about the import/tax free value over there, here it's just under that limit.

I only browsed your profile quickly, what's your telescope? A 114 900?

Thanks for the advice it's a 114 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The UK Astro Buy & Sell website is an excellent place for used equipment. I've bought and sold lots of eyepieces and other stuff there over the years. All my eyepieces, and my scopes for that matter, were bought used and I found most of them on that website:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Thanks John I'll give it a look

Hi,

114 1000 is probably a catadioptre with a lens Element in the focuser, the mirror is actually a 114 500 if that's the case. That's done to make compact newtonians and correct the flaws of a often spherical mirror.

Other then collimation issues this limits the usable magnification.

I would say a 6mm eyepiece is probably the highest magnification that provides a positive effect, anything over that might still be nice for the moon but contrast may be an issue.

How are the eyepieces that came with the telescope?

30mm Plössl (13gbp), 15mm Erfle (18gbp) and 6mm 66deg (19-27gbp) would be a nice entry Level Set, relatively cheap, Good resale value, perform better then the 18-50gbp zoom eyepieces and compared to kellner, huygens or eveb just Plössl the wide angle eyepieces are nice to use.

Hi,

114 1000 is probably a catadioptre with a lens Element in the focuser, the mirror is actually a 114 500 if that's the case. That's done to make compact newtonians and correct the flaws of a often spherical mirror.

Other then collimation issues this limits the usable magnification.

I would say a 6mm eyepiece is probably the highest magnification that provides a positive effect, anything over that might still be nice for the moon but contrast may be an issue.

How are the eyepieces that came with the telescope?

30mm Plössl (13gbp), 15mm Erfle (18gbp) and 6mm 66deg (19-27gbp) would be a nice entry Level Set, relatively cheap, Good resale value, perform better then the 18-50gbp zoom eyepieces and compared to kellner, huygens or eveb just Plössl the wide angle eyepieces are nice to use.

There ok got a x2 Barlow with the scope which I've read the stock ones aren't that good, tried it with the 10mm looking at Jupiter but it wasn't a very sharpe image.

Also got a stock 25mm wide angle which again is ok for viewing the moon a much sharper image.

Archived