Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help!

Hi all,

I'm expecting my very first telescope to arrive tomorrow (celestron astromaster 70az).

I have been told to buy the book Turn Left at Orion and download a software beginning with S (I can't remember the name), unfortunately I can't afford the book at the moment and do not have access to a pc or laptop. Can anyone please recommend some good and reliable iphone apps to help me navigate around the skies.

Thank you all in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stellarium it was because I recommended it to you!

As for apps, a lot you have to pay for. The NASA app is handy for the latest exploration launches and has some good detail about celestial bodies. I have Google SkyMap which is free on Android, but I don't think is available on iOS. Another I have is Star Chart, which I believe is now free and available on iOS. You just point your phone at the sky and it tells you what you're looking at. It has a handy "night mode" feature which changes the display to red light, as to not ruin your dark sky adapted eyes when looking at your phone.

If you're quick (before the 20th of January I think) you can buy the latest version 4 of SkySafari for $1 (not sure what that works out as in £s). Similarly you can buy SatelliteSafari 1.5 for $1 and this will help you identify when satellites like the ISS are likely to be visible to you.

That's good to hear recommended apps for star finding. There are so many on the App Store it's hard to choose. I have just bought SkySafari 4 for 69 pence. There is a big jump to £13.99 for the pro version. I wonder what the benefits of the pro version are?

That's good to hear recommended apps for star finding. There are so many on the App Store it's hard to choose. I have just bought SkySafari 4 for 69 pence. There is a big jump to £13.99 for the pro version. I wonder what the benefits of the pro version are?

That's what I thought. I got the 69p Sky Safari 4 but instead of paying £13.99 for the pro version I think I'll pay a bit more and get the book Turn Left at Orion as it seems a lot of people swear by it

Hiya,

There is another great little app for the iPhone it's called pocket universe. I have both sky safari pro 4 and pocket universe, which is a lot cheaper and I feel easy to use.

I also use some of the free ones in the education bit of the App Store too:)

It's best to calibrate your compass on your phone first.

Dave :)

Hi all,

I'm expecting my very first telescope to arrive tomorrow (celestron astromaster 70az).

I have been told to buy the book Turn Left at Orion and download a software beginning with S (I can't remember the name), unfortunately I can't afford the book at the moment and do not have access to a pc or laptop. Can anyone please recommend some good and reliable iphone apps to help me navigate around the skies.

Thank you all in advance

Hi, I use an app called, SkyView, it is not only free, it uses the built-in compass and GPS to locate where you are, the compass allows you to hold your device out infront of you and move around, and the object will be shown on the srcreen, if you want to go pro on the app there is also a paid app, i will put both links below, The paid version is more updated with a more precise tracking feature and the UI has also been updated.

(Free) https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/skyview-free-explore-universe/id413936865?mt=8

(Paid) https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/skyview-explore-the-universe/id404990064?mt=8

Regards,

Ben Rolfe

Archived