Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Decisions decisions

I'm looking to upgrade but I'm not sure what to go for..

The skyliner 300p dob or the revelation 12" m-crf which is about 170 pounds cheaper,why?

The skyliner 250px or the Orion skyquest xt10i.

All and any advice welcome or different options

Cheers

If it's more aperture you are after so you can look deeper into space, then go for the largest you can handle within budget. The PX and Xti are both smashing scopes but why stop there? Unless there are other criteria - go for 12" - that's what a dob's for, putting large apertures on simple/cheap mounts.

I don't know about the Revelation product - though I've heard good reports - but I own the SW Flextube 300P which has always given me fabulous views and been easy to maintain and transport around. I doubt there's a big difference between the two. Hth :)

Hi Bryan

My usual advice on between a 10" and a 12" is:

If your keeping your small scope get the 12". A 12" is just starting to get to the size that makes them a bit of a handfull to take out every single time you wish to observe. Having a smaller scope for back up those times when hauling the big-un out isn't worth it is a real bonus.

If selling your smaller scope. Get the 10" IMO these are small enough to drag out anytime without being a chore.

Good luck with your decision :)

I agree 100% with the advice from Steve above. 

For what it's worth optically all these scopes are of similar quality although, having owned a couple of the Revelations (or clones of them) and a couple of Skywatchers I tend to prefer the latter overall. The Skywatcher and Orion contain the same optics and are made by the same manufacturer. 

The skyliner 300p dob or the revelation 12" m-crf which is about 170 pounds cheaper,why?

I think the price difference is due to the Revelation being the solid tube variety versus the Sky-Watcher being the flextube truss rod type. The reason why SW stopped selling the solid tube Skyliner 300p (although there are occasional ones for sale second hand), was probably due to the tube length of around 1.5 metres which is too long to fit across the back seat of typical cars. The 200p (and 250px) has a tube of about 1.2 metres which fits well in a VW Golf for instance.

I second the views expressed above about keeping your other scope as a 'grab and go' cloud dodging scope.

Archived