Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another e2v sensor image from the weekend

budski

Like a few other correspondents here, I was waiting to do a Jupiter imaging run on Saturday night/Sunday morning but took the opportunity to have a look at the Moon while waiting for the planet to clear the roof tops. The seeing looked pretty steady so I upped the 'scope (C11) to f25 and took a set of videos. At this magnification one can expect a drop-off in clarity  so I wasn't surprised to find most of the captures unusable. One imaging run, however, looked reasonably clear so I persevered with it to see what could be coaxed out of the original material.

The image is uncropped so what we're seeing here is the sensor's 1280 (horizontal) pixels of which Copernicus fills about a quarter i.e. 320 pixels. The crater is 90Km (56 miles) in diameter so approx 3.5 pixels = 1Km (6 pixels per mile).

We're not quite ready to see any Lunar Rover tyre tracks just yet but what is quite interesting (maybe?) is the 5 pointed star shadow at the centre of the crater.  Beyond that I would like to think that at some time in the near future better cameras will reveal any skree or large boulder rubble at the inside of the crater walls. We shall see.

Bud

PS: The Jupiter session was aborted by mist not long after....

The image is approx 16Mb .post-6215-0-90157600-1389730181_thumb.jp    

Don't you get the impression that the area to the right of the crater looks like that rippled effect of rain on concrete before it has set? I can well imagine a passing meteor shower hammering the lava to an apple crumble consistency. Not very scientific, I know.......

Brilliant image.

I'll have to have a go at imaging this crater myself one day soon.

There's no way I'll manage to get the detail that you have.

Thanks for sharing your image.

D.C

Archived