Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with the Dog

alan potts

Finally... Got it! Spotted the Pup!!

After a few nights trying with the Genesis on manual Gibraltar mount, I decided tonight to dust off the LX90. Haven't done so for awhile. Actually, I don't think I've had it out since buying the TV-76. To be honest, after spending time with the 76 and Genesis, the views through the LX90 seem pretty darn underwhelming, to say the least... But that's another story for perhaps anothe thread.

Anyhow, it performed for me tonight. Whilst I wouldn't say it was easy, I found after having spotted the Pup once, it was then pretty easy to continue doing. Having never seen it, I really wasn't sure exactly where to expect to find it in relation to Sirius, what it's separation would look like through the eyepiece, or just how faint it would be. The added aperture, combined with tracking and, finally, the comfort of viewing through the newly arrived Bino Vue all made it a pretty pleasant experience. Will definitely be going back to it again. Now that I know what to expect, I must give it another try with the Genesis. It's pretty darn faint, so will be very interesting to see if I have any better luck than previous attempts with the 4 incher.

Thanks for starting this thread, Alan. Prior to reading it, I hadn't really even contemplated having a go at this target.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done on viewing the Pup. I have tried a few times with a red filter with 6mm and 9mm Hutech Orthos on my 10" Dob but without success. Seeing that you are using a 10" gives me confidence that one day I might succeed but I appreciate that Sirius in high in the sky in Australia which must help a lot.

Joves,

Many congratulations on the Pup, it is nice to see it, but I must say that if you can't see it from Sydney when it is overhead what chance to the guys in England stand. The other double that would be a really good one for you to try out is Antares, I have done it once but it needs at least 150mm of aperture, that took me 4 years to crack and I spent many tens of hours looking.

Going back to Sirius, ever since I was telling everyone on a another thread how wonderful the weather was for me, it snowed for 3 days and is now minus 8 and that was at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, nights are down to minus 15, a bit chilly, only a week ago it was 25 degrees. Sirius is a double that I believe I have never cracked with the LX 12 inch so I am really pleased to see you have done it. I find it easier with a smaller scope, the APO is really good for it and so too the Mak/Newt, I guess the Mak 180mm should also be good but so far nothing. The conditions on clear nights are not playing ball this year I have had some stinkers, which is unusual, still even a rotten night is better than a cloudy one.

I am glade you liked the thread and I am very pleased so many of the site members are having a go at it as well, I never saw it from England. Yong up in Sweden has seen it with a filter which is fantasic as he is way north and Sirius will be very low indeed making it a massive task to crack.

Alan.

Well done Joves  :smiley:

I have to agree with Alan though (and with respect to your achievement which, with an SCT, is a good one) that it would be a much easier target were it not bumping along the rooftops as it is in the UK.

I've a couple of red filters now which I'll use to try and pick it up with my ED120 refractor and I'll try them with my 12" dob too and see if it makes the Pup easier to see in that when the seeing is less than very good, which is more often than not.

As each year passes, the Pup is getting a little easier though is the apparent separation from Sirius A increases. Until 2025, then it starts to close again.

I don't fancy my chances in 2044 though as the separation will be at it's closest and I will be 84 years old  :undecided:

I'll be 88 we should make it a date to meet, I just wonder who is going to wheel me there. Please post the Filter results, I am sure you can do it with the 120mm, I fact you should be able to do it with the Vixen as well, it is all about conditions and I we have both had some rotten nights recently.

Alan.

Archived