NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

We complain about the weather but....

kerrylewis

I started keeping a detailed log again at the end of January 2013 and I find that I was observing on 72 nights since then.

There were also quite a few occasions when I couldn't, or didn't want to observe for one reason or another, and it includes the short summer nights, but that it is still almost 7 times per month. Not a bad average really is it?

People complain about the number of times that they can use their expensive equipment but surely that compares favourably with other pastimes does it not?

Kerry

You obviously don't live in Lancashire I haven't been able to use my scope for an imaging run since September 2013. Have set up from scratch 9 times in a row to be clouded out before I have finished alignment.

Still hoping for a clear night

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It also depends very much on your observing interests, the equipment you have, if you have an observatory, if you are visual or an imager, family commitments, work commitments.........need I go on?

Just for the record, I'm a visual observer have an observatory, small telescopes I can be out with in about a minute and an interest in the Sun, meaning of course I can utilise the day time.

I sympathise with you Mike, I live in West Yorkshire and frequently go to The Astronomy Centre near Todmorden so I know what you have to contend with!

Regards, Paul

Mike

You're right, it does seem that there's a significant difference between the east and the west of the country when it comes to cloud cover. The BBC forecast often shows this and I consider myself lucky to live where I do. I won't count up how many clear nights I've had since September!

Kerry

Im in the same boat as Mike - it can be cloudy n raining here in Cumbria when the rest of the country is clear ! My scope hasnt moved for 2 months as it always seems that Im on nights when the skies (rarely) clear ! Getting fed up of it now !

Archived