Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 or Celestron AVX for newbie

bodtwo

Hi all,

relative newbie, had an Astrotrac for a year and now time to step up. Whats peoples real world usage opinions of these two mounts?

Will be for DSO and will likely have an ED80 of some sort on it for AP. I'm looking for ease of use, setup and operation but realise 'ease of use' is relative when it comes to AP.

Thanks All.

HEQ5 - tried and tested over time, simple to use, cant really go wrong with this, polar aligning simple to do

AVX - new mount, some initial teething issues seem to have died down (still a couple of posts though), all start polar align, may get some issues

I chose the NEQ6 when I made the decision last year - it is a solid mount that has stood the test of time

I'd probably vote for the EQ6. Although the Eq5 would match your scope and camera equipment to make a good balanced system, as soon as you would want to take the next step up with some upgrade then the Eq5 could become the limiting factor in your system. I've added bits and pieces to my GPDX based setup recently, and although the mounting was well matched to start with, I am beginning to see signs that I am approaching the limit of its capabilities. As a result I'll probably be upgrading my mounting later this year to something that will be at least one or two steps up in performance.

Graeme

Archived