NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best Night Yet

After being frustrated by poor weather and early starts at work, on Thursday I finally managed to get my scope out for the first time in the new year.

I always start with my now familiar friend Jupiter, gradually increasing the magnification just to ease myself in for the night. Even though I didn't see the GRS, the more I observe Jupiter, the more detail I notice. With the high-mag still in, I then made the short journey across to Castor and split the decent double/triple star there.

After that I wanted to try out my new 32mm 2" PanaView eyepiece, so I swung the scope around, found Mirach and followed the sky along until I reached the bright smudge which is the Andromeda Galaxy. Only a smudge but it looked impressive with averted vision through the PanaView.

I decided then to move the scope towards the south and find the sword dangling from Orion's belt. Now here's where my inexperience becomes apparent... I had misread the finderscope view in turn Left At Orion and thought the Orion Nebula was located in the higher part of the sword rather than the lower. Although the rich field of stars was very impressive, I was disappointed to see no nebulosity.

Never mind, onto the Pleiades. Nicely visible to the naked eye. Sometimes they almost look as though they are twinkling alternately. They are spectacular through a 2" PanaView. (Bit of coma at the edges, but who cares!?) Can see the Pleiades becoming one my favourite objects because with so many stars in the area, I'm sure you would notice something new with every view!

After the disappointment of no nebulosity at Orion, I thought I would double-check. Maybe the moonlight and the light pollution had something to do with it? I swung my scope back to Orion and pointed it roughly in the area of the sword. I moved my eye to eyepiece and what struck me was the purple and green colour with three bright stars which looked like jewels, encrusted in the colour of the nebulosity. Even with the moonlight and light pollution, it was still the most amazing sight I've ever seen in the sky. I was struck with that weird sense of self-excitement which you can't share with anybody. You want to share the joy of what you've seen with somebody; anybody but realise you can't! You know the feeling, right?

After I'd settled down, I wanted to go for a more testing object. Moving the scope upwards above Orion, I found Capella, then travelled south until I hit an area of stars, moving towards the southeast until I hit the open cluster of M36. What a rewarding sight. I loved the contrast between the light of the bright stars and the unresolved stars which appeared as grains/hazes of light. It was a fascinating view to say the least.

At that point, I was cold and tired, so I packed up and went inside.

In the few weeks since I've had my scope, I've been asked by some people why I bought it and why I've spent in excess of £650 on the entire scope and eyepieces. Simple - for nights like that. You can have your spectacular glossy photographs from Hubble, but nothing beats viewing in your own space and time with your own eyes.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I wanted to do it as a kind of narrative which brought back the memories for the experienced stargazers, and heightened the intrigue and enthusiasm of the newbies out there!

I set myself modest targets as a beginner just to ease myself in and get used to operating the scope and observing through it. But to view such great new objects in one night, even in moonlit and light polluted skies, was pretty awesome.

Now I want Saturn.

Great write up Paulo. I've found astronomy over the years as a hobby I tend to fall away from time to time (weather doesn't help) but then I have a session such as the one you describe and bang, all the energy comes back again. Orion is often the key!

Bring on more clear skies.

What a great post and experiences no doubt shared by everyone who's peered through bins or a scope, regardless of experience. I am one of those noobs who is just dumbfounded every time I whip the scope out. Shame the weather is hindering viewing, it's taming my keenness I'll give it that! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect you already know, but your 200mm will show the GRS very well, it's just a matter of catching in on the visible side.  It looks more impressive when it's closer to the Central Meridian, so it's worth checking out when it is on the CM and planning your observing session accordingly if you have the chance.  Sky and Telescope magazine has a link with timings of its transits.

I expect you already know, but your 200mm will show the GRS very well, it's just a matter of catching in on the visible side.  It looks more impressive when it's closer to the Central Meridian, so it's worth checking out when it is on the CM and planning your observing session accordingly if you have the chance.  Sky and Telescope magazine has a link with timings of its transits.

Yeah, I've seen it once before but when it was about three-quarters of the way down the planet. I'm sure I will catch it again soon enough if this awful weather ever ends.

Archived