Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vibration Supression pads

LunaSwift

I have been looking around for a set of these pads , and cannot find any under £50-00 a set, but whilst trawling through Amazon I found that I can but Ice Hockey pucks from between £1-30p to £4-00 each, 

They are made from Solid Galvanised Rubber so must work as well as the Astronomy pads , and are a lot cheaper,  What do you think Would they work ??

Graham

I have a set of the Meade anti-vibration pads. Their construction is in 3 pieces, a hard cup for the tripod foot to sit on, a "bed" of vibration dampening material and a further outer cup for to contain these other two elements and that sits on the ground. This 3-element approach where the scope is effectively floating on the vibration dampening material, is what helps to make vibrations dampen out quickly (and they really do work !). I'm not sure that a single piece construction would be as effective but, if the cost is low then why not give it a go.

My Meade pads cost around £25 I seem to recall and it seems money well spent when vibrations dampen out in around 1/3rd of the time when viewing at high power. 

Archived