Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question about Sirius

Hi folks, Can I just ask what should I expect to see when I look at Sirius? I have just got a Orion xt8 and when I was out tonight decided to have a look at Sirius and I could not get a clear view of it, all I could see was (if I can describe it right) flashing blue, white and red colours, is this what I should be seeing? 

I think I have collimated the scope but even Jupiter looked a little bit fuzzy although I could see some bands and the moons, our own moon was as clear as a bell and I could clearly see craters and ridges.

Many thanks.

Tried to view it ( and split the 2 stars last night) and had the same result as you, multicoloured flashing like a xmas tree!!

Its pretty low in the sky at our latitude and as Tinker above says, there's a lot of dirty atmosphere to look through to see it. It may get a little higher later in the season so hopefully it will give better views.

L.

I've just been able to split Sirius tonight with my 12" dob @ 227x and 265x using orthoscopic eyepieces. Sirius B is very faint and just glimmers very faintly though the diffraction of light around Sirus A. It's a real tough challenge from the UK though and needs a scope and eyepieces that absolutely minimize the light scatter around the brighter component. 

There is a huge brightness difference between these stars, they are low down, and they reasonably close together (8 arc seconds currently) so it's a toughie !

Cheers folks, just thought it was something to do with my scope, but it seems I just chose the wrong target lol.

Being the brightest star in the sky, and one of the closer ones to us, Sirius is worth a look even though it's low altitude means that the view can be a bit "messy"  :smiley:

Try Castor in Gemini sometime, thats a nice double star of more or less equal brightness. 100x or so should show it well  :smiley:

Archived