Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead & Flame in Ha

JohnC64

Had a bit of a learning experience on this one but finally got there in the end. First time in using a CCD and first time in using an OAG.  Still a lot to get sorted but I am happy with the result so far. Spent most of the night getting set up and getting guiding working so only ended up with 12 * 300s Ha subs before the target went behind a tree. Captured and preprocessed in Nebulosity and then finished the processing  in Pixinsight.  One main advantage of the CCD is not having to do the darks at the same time. :)

Cheers for looking John

post-12165-0-12068200-1389393279_thumb.p

Many thanks for the comments everyone

Epicycle - Yes i was amazed when i first looked at a downloaded sub.  My initial reaction was where is everything. but a quick stretch soon brought out the depth of data that CCD is capable of capturing.

Baggywrinkle - I'm a bit outside of ely in the Fens - so reasonably dark skies.  Ely itself is very light polluted and the local council doesn't implement a lights out policy on the streetlights like suffolk does. so aim for the outskirts if moving here

Symesie04 - The sensitivity is incredible on the ccd and the lack of noise(after coming from 2 years of using a  DLSR) is incredible .

Overall, I am very impressed with the QSI Camera - It will take me some time to get used to everything - especially guiding with an OAG  I was getting a rms of 0.4 when using on the MN190!!  instead of my usual 0.09 when using a finder guider.  The stars still came out round but i suspect that i have a way to go in getting this set up right in PHD.

Cheers John

Don't think that the day will come when i say - "Thats enough subs" :)

Heres a reprocess with a bit more contrast to bring out the details.  Not sure if I've overdone it though

Cheers John

attachicon.gifhh-reproc.png

I don't think you have - the extra contrast almost makes up for the "lack" of subs :p:).

Archived