Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ1 vs EQ2

I'm about to buy an ST102 as a visual grab'n go/widefield 'scope.  I prefer using EQ mounts (no EQ vs AZ pros/cons basis here, it's just a preference!)  My question is, for the intended purpose, is the Skywatcher EQ2 £96 better than the EQ1? (buying the ST102 OTA and the EQ2 separately from FLO works out as £96 over the ST102/EQ1 package) Or would that money be better spent on some EP's?

Other similar size/price ranged mount suggestions welcome  :smiley: .  The EQ3-2 looks reasonable value, however I *believe* this is bigger than practical (and necessary) for my grab 'n go requirements (although I admit I've not seen/used an EQ3-2 in "the flesh").

~Keith

If it was my money, I wouldn't be considering the EQ1 - but I can imagine the 102 and the EQ2 being a reasonable match. I have a Celestron CG3, which is the equivalent to an EQ2 and not alas an EQ3, and the 130EQ is a bit marginal on it at over 3Kg. I changed the tripod and beefed things upa bit and it now its OK - just. The 102 at 2.5Kg though should be good. Buying the two seperately is a pain but if you get the EQ1 I think you will be probably upgrading it sooner or later. It might be worth an Email to FLO to suss out whether they might do a deal on the package - always worth a try. At a combined price of £283 though you are almost at the 102 Syncscan price and not far of the AZ4 package.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I think I'll enquire as to any possibilities of a package deal - if you don't ask you don't get! - and make a final decision from there with your input in mind.

The deed is done... One ST102 and EQ2 ordered :laugh: .

They couldn't offer an EQ2/ST102 package since the EQ1/ST102 is shipped that way by Skywatcher (which is what I expected).  Didn't hurt to ask though.
Looking forward to the arrival of 'scope and included cloud (as if there wasn't enough already  :rolleyes: )

~Keith

Congratulations on your purchase!

Now get out there with it and enjoy.

Be careful not to over-tighten the legs though, on my EQ1 it's very easy to break the plastic braces by screwing too tight, they only need a light touch.

I did have a scout around the 'net but what I'd have saved amounted to less than a tenner... For that difference I happily stuck with FLO for buyer confidence.

Thanks Jonathan. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that. I went with the EQ2 in the end - I imagine though that the legs are the same as the EQ1 but the mount's heavier-duty(?)

It's arriving Saturday so I'll post a first light report as soon as there's a break in the clouds. :smiley:

~Keith

Archived