NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi FS 128 vs Takahashi TSA 120 vs Televue NP101

12 hours ago, 25585 said:

Rather than a NP101, would a NP127 not be a fairer comparison between the two Takahashis and TEC 140. How should a Vixen NA140 SSF compare?

Good advice, even if a little later than anticipated ?

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Time to throw in my 2c as I have the FS-128 and a TV Genesis (ancestor to the NP101).

My first light with the FS-128 was on Jupiter and it was the most glorious of all first lights. I plopped in the focuser my Ethos 8mm and a 2x barlow and was happily exploring Jupiter for 15 minutes until the clouds rolled in. It is a fantastic scope IF you can find one and quite light for the aperture (albeit long, but your EQ-6 can handle it). As far as 5" for a visual observer goes, it is absolutely perfect. 

The Genesis is great for wide field views (up to 5° TFOV with a Nagler 31mm) but you do need the dark skies to support using low magnification, as the image shows a bright background if there is a lot of light pollution. Lighter and shorter than the FS-128, however of course the difference in aperture is immediately obvious (every mm counts when discussing these apertures). The TSA120 is a triplet and more corrected, but for visual this won't make a difference. More compact than the FS-128 and not much different to size than the NP101, it appears to be a suitable compromise, however, it takes longer to cool down (3 elements). Keep in mind that the flatness of field of the NP101 (or my Genesis for that matter) is equaled by the FS-128 due to the much longer focal length of the FS-128. At 1,040mm, the field is pretty darned flat to my eyes.

One consideration not mentioned, is EAA and NV. The NP101 would shine for both applications due to inherent field flatness and short focal ratio. Something to ponder, as light pollution increases and we need to think about alternative ways to enjoy the hobby (hence my purchase of the Genesis in advance of a future purchase of NV gear, and for current use with my ASI294 for EAA when not doing small galaxies).

If it were me, I would hunt for a well maintained FS-102 as a suitable compromise.  Perfect blend of size, performance, price and focal ratio to cover all your needs in one scope. But any of the scopes you propose, would do as we are nitpicking. I do have a soft spot for the FS-102 though and if I could find a pristine one, I'd just buy it because.... FS-102....

• Like 1