Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Worth using filters with a 4.5 inch Newt?

Hi. I'm relatively new to astronomy, and most of my observing is currently geared towards lunar/planetary. Jupiter looks fabulous at the moment and I was blown away the 1st time I saw the gallileans. However I can only just make out the merest suggestion of the main cloud bands at 200 mag.

My question is this. In such a small scope, would colour filters block too much light from the image as to be worth investing in. What could I expect to see in terms of improved contrast?

Brave sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away-away.

I'd have thought that 200x far exceeds the usable limit on a 4.5" scope of this type. generally people do say that 2mm or 50x aperture in inches is the maximum potential use but this assumes ideal conditions, optics and an experienced user with a lot of patience.

for small fast newts (assuming yours is one)  this is possibly not a fair estimate. I'd suggest more like 100x is about the maximum you'd get good images from but possibly to abut 150x at a push. I have a 114mm f4.4 newt but don't have a mount for it yet. I'll report back once I get a chance to properly test it out. 

Yep as Shane and Paul say x200 is too much power for your scope and although x130 will give you a lot better views of the North and South Equatorial Belts I think you'll struggle to pick out much detail because the disk will be so small.

Some people do use filters, red filters work well to pick out festoons from the NEB and blue filters can help with the polar regions but you do need enough resolution to be able to do that.

Don't let this put you off though, theres a GRS transit at 01.40am tonight and you should be able to see that just fine. :)

You may need to spend a bit of time looking at it but just be patient.

Thanks guys. Useful info. Indeed this is the highest ep I have and I realise it is pushing the limits of what is realistic. I suppose that because it's the 1st ep which wasn't included with the scope, it compares favourably with the stock eps I've been accustomed to so far. My scope is f/9 so quite slow. Any specific thoughts with regards filters on such a small scope?

Brave sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away-away.

I'd suggest a baader neodymiun as this will increase apparent contrast on Jupiter, Mars and the Moon. It's a good LP filter too.

Do you know what I've had a Neodynium filter for nearly three years, used it on scopes from 4" to my 16" and can't for the life out of me see any difference! I'm certainly not saying you are wrong Shane because I know a lot of people have had success with them but its just never done anything for me? I also can't see colour in DSO's?? The only thing I do see very well are clouds!!  :grin:

might be my eyes. I also get chromatic aberration across the field of my 13mm ethos and 26mm nagler when looking at the moon. I find it shifts the colour slightly to blue and it certainly provides a more aesthetically pleasing view although I expect that if you look with and without the filter, the detail will be similar. to me though it definitely changes things for the better. vive la difference!

I also have a 4.5" newt and i could clearly see the 2 bands yesterday evening using a 12.5m eyepice at x72 power. Not the best scope or the darkest sky from my back garden, but still a decent view. 3 moons were in view at 6.20pm and the 4th appeared from behind the planet around 6.45pm. Awesome stuff.

Archived