SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn

How excited can one guy get. Just can't wait to spot Saturn, shame it's an early morning one.

Hoping to see the rings, but not sure if the equipment I have is up to the challenge.

I am trying to get the girlfriend excited at the prospect of getting up between 4am and 5am Saturday to get an eyeball. We will be out Friday evening hoping for successful Quadrantids spotting.

Craig.

I was up at 5am on sunday especially to spot Saturn and I'm glad I did, it was amazing even if seeing wasn't the greatest due to being quite low. Can't wait to spot it with the C8 when it arrives.

What equipment will you be using?

Looks like im up also dont know about the wife. Saw Jupiter and all four moons for the first time the other night. Present for Christmas celestron astromaster 114eq. Not been able to use again due to weather. Have the apps on my phone on where to look for things. Where will saturn be and at what time. Looking forward to it weather depending.

I was up at 5am on sunday especially to spot Saturn and I'm glad I did, it was amazing even if seeing wasn't the greatest due to being quite low. Can't wait to spot it with the C8 when it arrives.

What equipment will you be using?

You are in for a treat - depends on skies though.  It was impressive from my back garden, but I took my C8 to a darker site and WOW, Saturn was stunning.  Could even make out some of the atmospheric cloud banding on the planet - a view to be remembered!

Craig your equipment is up to the challenge, but with Saturn being

low to the horizon you will need good seeing to get much detail, but

the rings will be well in view, it's certainly got the WOW factor. Enjoy!

Where will saturn be and at what time. Looking forward to it weather depending.

Download Stellarium:- http://www.stellarium.org/

Set this up for your location and enter a time of about 5.00am. This will show exactly where to look. You may want to wait a bit for Saturn to climb a bit higher. 

BTW while you're out have a look at Mars as well.

Good luck.

It is worth all the excitement. I had my first view last April when I woke up at 3am one night and it was clear. In my rush I didn't realise that I was only wearing a T-shirt until I had been outside for nearly an hour!

A ringed planed is something that I used to see in sci-fi programs and never thought that I could see Saturn in it's glory from my back garden. It truly took my breath away.

Michael

Where will saturn be and at what time. Looking forward to it weather depending.

Hello, as Astro Imp suggested, use Stellarium, it's quality.

At 05:00 in the UK you'll need to look South East to see it, not too far from the horizon. I saw it for the first time the other day, albeit with the naked eye only.

Still haven't had a chance to view it. Most of my viewing is done from the backyard and the sun is already starting to peek up before Saturn gets up high enough. I'll either have to find a spot where it rises over the trees and houses earlier or wait till later this spring.

Archived