Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

focal reducer question

blinky

They're supposed to, in an ideal world, get "stronger" as you move them away from the camera chip. Plonk it on the chip, no effect, move it away and the FOV gets bigger. Most though, have a sweet spot, or at least a range, where they work well. This places limits on how far from the chip you can have the FR, but it adds to the fun that is imaging. :D

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thanks for clearing that up. I was a but confused when the short adapter said 0.7X and the longer adapter (this is on Ian Kings website) said 0.5. I assumed the image was 70% larger and 50%Larger but it means that with the 0.7 you see....no wait still confused :D:rolleyes: Too early in the morning, will come back to this later!

It's the Atik one Ian. I bought it with a short 1.25 nosepiece to make the effect 0.7 times. I can get it to focus with the short and the normal nosepieces but was wondering what one would give the widest FoV. I assume it is the 0.5 that makes it the widest but could not get my head round the numbers :D Surely a reduction of 0.7 is more of a reduction that 0.5?

No wait just opened up calc on my PC. If I assume my FoV is 10 (Degrees, minutes, bannana's, whatever) and I put in a 0.7 X Reducer that will make my FoV 7 (Or 70% of what I could previously see), If I put in the 0.5 it will make the FoV 5 (Or 50% i.e. Half of what I could see).

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:

Craig, I'm not an expert on this, but a barlow, increases the magnification and decreases the FOV by a factor of 2 etc. Therefore I'd have thought that a focal reducer operates in the other direction, decreases the magnification and increases the FOV by a factor. I'm not certain of the relationship between the magnification and the FOV, but I'd expect that the magnification would be mulitplied by 0.7 rather than the FOV.

Very simplistically, and the factors are probably wrong for the adjustment on the FOV, but for a X2 barlow...

Mag = Mag X 2

FOV = FOV / 2

For a focal reducer of 0.7

Mag = Mag X 0.7

FOV = FOV / 0.7

Archived