Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 2264 & friends (also gaudy!)

Tim

NGC 2264, also known as the Cone nebula or Christmas tree nebula. For one reason or another, though I have images this repeatedly over the years, I have never had a decent final image. Quite pleased with this one, although doing HaRGB blends properly is going to take some learning... I don't have the capture details to hand but the scope is the Skywatcher Esprit 150ED, and the camera an Atik 11000. Data gathered over clear nights in Nov and Dec 2013.

I actually prefer the mono (Ha only) version, but the Blue and Green filters help to bring out the reflection nebulosity in the centre of the image.

Thanks for looking!

get.jpg

Fantastic stuff Tim! I'm guessing 30min exposures to match your Rosette?

This one is in HaRGB, so I'd want to know compared to the Rosette which was done using NB filters, assuming shorter subs for the RGB subs, though I could be wrong.

The Ha subs would be 30 mins, that seems to be a useful sub length in the 11000. Can't remember how many I took though until I get home. The RGB's were 10 minutes each I think, and I had 10 of each. The conditions for the RGB weren't great, too much moisture in the air and the light pollution has no solution in this setup atm, but background gradient removal in Pixinsight has helped a bit.

When I get home i'll post the Ha version, I much prefer it :)

Cheers

Archived