Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting Astrophotography

Gartut200

Other than for video camera (AKA fast frame camera/webcam) it would be useless. This might seem counter intiuitive but two things apply; the tracking precision required for long exposures is extreme. And then a mount tracking in alt-azimuth (up and down, left and right) does not correct for the slow rotation of the target in the field of view. (This assumes you are not imaging from the N or S pole!!!)

Fast frame cameras work well on small bright targets like the moon, sun and planets. They don't work for deep sky.

Olly 

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

It would do planets but you really need an equitorial mount for AP.

For the OTA you have you would need a very big equitorial.

The aperture is partially irrelevant.

What you have is a very nice visual scope, but visual and AP are different. As an example many use a good 80mm refractor, I am guessing your secondary is bigger then 80mm across. Visit the people at Sidmouth NLO and they do a lot of AP and there is a lot of WO Megrez 72mm scopes in use. That starts to show the difference in approach to the different aspects.

If you are wanting to do AP, before you spend a penny, buy the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available in the book section of the FLO website. It is an imagers bible and will really help you with the whole imaging process. Read it ........ twice, then think again about what you want and why.

AP is all about the mount. Mount, mount, mount, have I mentioned that the mount is important?!! This is the basis to a good rig and if you don't have a good solid base, you will end up with wobbly useless photos - Simples.

I suggest often that the HEQ5 is the minimum for a good, solid AP rig. Others will come on and say that you can do it with less. Of course you can ....... but, go down that route with care and be prepared to work at it and probably throw away a considerable number of subs. If you buy a mount that is suited for the task from the off, you will have one less thing to contend with and trust me, with imaging you have MANY things to battle with on a night by night basis.

Be realistic about what you want to achieve. Look on the imaging board and look at the images that you want to aspire to. Then look at the kit they use to achieve it. That's a good starting point.

Obviously what you buy will depend on your budget. As swag72 says, AP is all about the mount. The eq5 will limit the size of the scope you can use, and with an 8 inch Newtonian you are lose to it;s weight limit for AP. Generally the rule is the weight of your scope, guided scope and cameras should be about half that of the mounts load  capacity. In this respect you may be better off saving up and getting an NEQ6 PRO which would give more options in terms of the size of the imaging scope or if you want to try a dual imaging  system (two imaging scopes on the same mount) in the future. As mentioned above, do read Making every Photon Count before you spend anything.

Archived