NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO ASI120MC and 127MAK

tekkydave

Hi,

I am considering purchasing one of these to use with my Celestron 127SLT MAK. Has anyone else used this camera with a 127MAK and have any example images to give me an idea of what I will be able to achieve? I am also open to suggestions of alternative cameras in a similar price bracket if they will give better results or some other feature that the ZWO may not have.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks knobby - that gives me a rough idea. I have seen some very impressive shots done with an 8" version of my scope but I'm not sure what a 5" should be capable of.

It's difficult to know at what point spending more money on the camera becomes pointless. I suppose whatever camera I get it will be useful with any future scope I upgrade to.

Thanks knobby - that gives me a rough idea. I have seen some very impressive shots done with an 8" version of my scope but I'm not sure what a 5" should be capable of.

It's difficult to know at what point spending more money on the camera becomes pointless. I suppose whatever camera I get it will be useful with any future scope I upgrade to.

You get the camera and you start to learn how to get good planetary images with the scope you have. When you get to know that well you upgrade to a bigger scope, then to a better camera and you end up doing very good images with a very big aperture :)

Those are impressive images, James. How many frames have you stacked to produce these and what software do you use?

Thank you :)  For Saturn I used around 3000 frames.  For Jupiter probably half that.  My processing is along the lines of what I've described here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184821-beginners-guide-to-stacking-planetary-images-with-autostakkert2/

James

Camera arrived in post yesterday. First impressions are that it is well engineered. Getting that nice squeaking noise when screwing/unscrewing the lens and nosepiece (wierdo!). Just need a clear spell to try it out now.

• 2 years later...

Because this thread was resurrected I don't mind to post my images too for the next one who comes by by searching the board.

So far I had only time to make images without (!) a barlow.

Jupiter is not a compose, which (IMHO) shows the capability of the ASI120MC quite good. Mars and Saturn had not that good seeing, so mars is a bit like a potato... All captured with Firecapture (latest Beta).

Cheers,
Carsten

Jupiter_ASI120_ASRS.png

Compose_Mars_Saturn_28052016.png

Archived