Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter at 01.25AM on 28th Dec

Barv

Hi all.

I shot this last night with Intes Micro MN86. 

Managed 125FPS with ZWO120MC. 5000 frames stacked out of a total capture of just over 27000!

AVI ran through Pipp to get 8000 of the best frames. Stacking done in AS2 with wavelets in Registax. Final tweaking in GIMP.

Hope you like it!  :smiley: 

post-32779-0-55566500-1388261859_thumb.p

Wow that's fantastic! What capture software do you use? I have the ASI120MC also. Can I ask what capture settings you used to get it to capture at 125fps? That's an amazingly fast speed. On average I tend to get just 15fps when shooting in 640x480 with the gain on 8 and exposure at 0.67021 and frame rate set to maximum. If love to get it to capture at over 100fps!

Wow that's fantastic! What capture software do you use? I have the ASI120MC also. Can I ask what capture settings you used to get it to capture at 125fps? That's an amazingly fast speed. On average I tend to get just 15fps when shooting in 640x480 with the gain on 8 and exposure at 0.67021 and frame rate set to maximum. If love to get it to capture at over 100fps!

Settings are a matter of trial and error. What I do is to up the gain to around 90%, then lower the exposure time as low as I can get it by keeping the histogram to at least 70%. On Jupiter I have found that the optimum is around 110fps. It also helps if you reduce the capture window size down as much as possible but still allowing enough for wind movement etc! 

I hope this helps.

Brilliant thanks. I thought (from what I've read-I may have interpreted it wrongly) that the higher the gain the more "noisy" the resultant image is? That's why I keep the gain as low as possible and the exposure time faster. Maybe I have been doing it wrong! I will have a go at doing it the other way around on the next clear night and then do it the opposite way again and see what I get and compare and contrast. Either way getting it to capture at over 100 frames per second will be an achievement for me as the fastest I have managed is 50fps.

Is interesting to know that image wise we have had comparable results with completely different settings and equipment and capturing at different focal lengths. Thanks for the info, that's really useful :)

Brilliant thanks. I thought (from what I've read-I may have interpreted it wrongly) that the higher the gain the more "noisy" the resultant image is? That's why I keep the gain as low as possible and the exposure time faster. Maybe I have been doing it wrong! I will have a go at doing it the other way around on the next clear night and then do it the opposite way again and see what I get and compare and contrast. Either way getting it to capture at over 100 frames per second will be an achievement for me as the fastest I have managed is 50fps.

Is interesting to know that image wise we have had comparable results with completely different settings and equipment and capturing at different focal lengths. Thanks for the info, that's really useful :)

You are correct in the respect of the gain settings. My images are generally far too noisy, although they show considerable detail which I like. The gain settings are a matter of experimentation and you should aim for a compromise. That is the way to get more out of that camera though!

Okay cool :) Thanks, more experimentation then, I like experimenting.

By the way, I have only had success recently imaging with my scope at F15. It helps with the noise if you drizzle a little though!

Archived