Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maxvision 24mm eyepiece: built-in eyecup?

JulianFR

Hi... I was very lucky to receive a Maxvision 24mm/68 degree eyepiece for Christmas. And I was doubly lucky to be able to use it last night for the first time and admire the beautifully crisp, almost 3D views. I have a question though and wonder if anyone can help...

I thought it had a built-in useful, but if it does I can't see how to raise it. I have tried gently twisting (like my BST eyepieces) and pulling and pulling the barrel up, but no joy. I don't want to force anything. But without an eyecup my lashes are close to the glass and I'm concerned it will be smeared.

This is by far my biggest eyepiece ... Like a hand grenade nest to my BSTs and WO 6mm SPL. It really tipped the front of my Dob down so I had to tighten it on the base carefully. Well worth it though!

Also re eyepieces, as a beginner, I was interested to find my best views of Jupiter last night were with my BST 8mm rather than the WO 6mm ... Although smaller, the disc was sharper. In the 8mm the disc was a bit fuzzy and was more difficult to focus, although the Lacerta micro-focuser helped. I guess that was seeing conditions rather than any eyepiece quality issue?

Happy New year ... And thanks for any advice re the eyecup question.

Julian

ES site says:

Featuers
- All surfaces multicoated
- Twisting rubber eyecup
- Lens edges blackened
- Barrel diameter 1.25" (31,8mm)
- Net weight 386g

So I guess a little more grip and torque needs to be applied.

No idea about the ES ones but the BST's could stick and people had to not be so gentle as expected, usually the first time.

Wondered what a "Built-in useful" was. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Get to 250 posts then you can edit.

Took me a little while to work this out too! I have a couple of 82 degree Maxvisions, presumably the 68s work in the same way.

It looks as though the eyecup should twist up as the BST does, but the whole of the EP twists round and up (if that makes sense). Hold the 1.25" barrel and twist the body of the eyepiece.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful  :smiley:

It took me a little time to work out when I had my meade 5000, as John and Gareth have said, they screw up.

You shouldn't need to force it, but just hold onto the 1.25" piece that inserts into the 'scope and hold the main body of the EP and twist.

Cheers

Hi guys, just a quick question as the op has solved his problem.

I have the chance to swap my 25mm Celestron X-Cel for one of these at virtually no cost (£5 postage) and was wondering if it is worthwhile? At the moment I only have a basic Skywatcher so guess I will see very little difference but do plan on upgrading the scope in a few months. I do wear glasses and have found the x-cel very nice in use when wearing specs.

Thanks for your help!

Hi guys, just a quick question as the op has solved his problem.

I have the chance to swap my 25mm Celestron X-Cel for one of these at virtually no cost (£5 postage) and was wondering if it is worthwhile? At the moment I only have a basic Skywatcher so guess I will see very little difference but do plan on upgrading the scope in a few months. I do wear glasses and have found the x-cel very nice in use when wearing specs.

Thanks for your help!

It'll be easier to recommend anything to you if we know what your scope is and which MV you're thinking of to swap.

24mm MV should  have enough eye reiief for you, I wear specs too, it's sharper than BSTs (about the same as X-cel) I have, and the 24mm MV will show you max field of view in a 1.25" focuser, larger than the 25mm X-cel can show you. It's though clearly heavier(400gram) than the X-cel.

Archived