Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting the best from my SkyMax 127 + using the Focuser

Good evening.

I last posted on here just over a year ago now and I'm ashamed to say i have neglected my scope some what over the last year.

but now I've been bitten by the bug again and have been getting excited to be using it again.

I own a SkyMax 127 with the SynScan AZ GOTO 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain.

I'm pretty new to all this and with having a year away seem to be even greener than before.

I'm hoping to venture out from the enclosure of my back garden. but i would like to get a bit more associated and comfortable with using the scope and motor settings, which i have to say is pretty easy to use and set up.....apart from one thing....... there's always something.!!!!

The Focuser on the scope is proving to be a bit tricky to use. Its heavy to turn, The scope shakes when trying to focusing which means its difficult to actually focus on something if anything. Last advice I received was to modify a lid from a peanut butter jar to fit over the focuser......... has this advice been improved or is this still the general feeling, without spending a fortune.?

also, is there anyone out there that has the same scope or one similar that can share advice  on how to get the best out of the scope.

I would also like to learn about astrophotography.... but maybe I should learn to walk instead of running first.

Can anyone suggest any alternative focusers for this scope or any advice on how i can make life simpler with this focuser? i'd be appreciative on any advice.

Also, i'm based in Flitwick, Bedfordshire. is there anyone on here that knows of or lives local that knows of some good spots to view the night sky.

thanks for your time guys

Wilkie

There's not any kind of "lock" on the focuser on that scope that might not be fully disengaged is there?

If not, I'd venture that a stiff focuser might be something that needs maintenance attention. While I don't think you can ever completely kill the shakes short of a motorised focuser, it should respond to a fairly gentle touch.

I'd not describe the focuser on my 127 Mak as being particularly heavy, but the small size of the knob perhaps doesn't help.  The vibration can be a problem though and I motorised the focuser on mine to deal with that.

If you want to add an external focuser it may be possible.  The Revelation model is the cheapest I've seen, but you almost certainly will need an adaptor to take the thread on the back of the baffle tube out to the correct size for an SCT.  The only question is whether there would be clearance between the outer edge of the focuser and the existing focuser knob.  I think you'd need at least 50mm between the centre of the baffle tube and the edge of the focuser knob, preferably nearer 60mm.  Be aware that it will increase the focal length of the scope a little, too.

Hanging weight off the bottom of the tripod head, putting weight into the eyepiece tray or filling the legs with sand are common ways of damping down the vibrations.

James

I'm not familiar with that focuser mechanism but certainly the cheaper newtonians and refractors benefit from a strip and regrease; the grease used in the factory can be a bit on the sticky side. I have always dismantled, degreased with bike degreaser such as this 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173404_langId_-1_categoryId_228374 

and replacing with a better quality light grease such as this 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_715185_langId_-1_categoryId_228374

It's a relatively easy job on Skywatcher's budget newts and fracs but SCTs look like they might be trickier. Have a search around, there's bound to be some step by step instructions on the web/here.

cheers and good luck

Thanks guys.

I'll probably be better off saving the pennies.

I doubt I have the 50-60mm clearance required to clear the focusing knob either.

I'll more than likely stick with the trusted clothes peg for know.

Unless I hear of a better make do way.

Thanks all for your advice

I'm not familiar with that focuser mechanism but certainly the cheaper newtonians and refractors benefit from a strip and regrease; the grease used in the factory can be a bit on the sticky side. I have always dismantled, degreased with bike degreaser such as this 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173404_langId_-1_categoryId_228374

and replacing with a better quality light grease such as this 

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_715185_langId_-1_categoryId_228374

It's a relatively easy job on Skywatcher's budget newts and fracs but SCTs look like they might be trickier. Have a search around, there's bound to be some step by step instructions on the web/here.

cheers and good luck

Doing that with the Mak would mean a recollimation which is far more of a pain than with newt.  I'd not recommend it to anyone not confident of doing the collimation.

James

Archived