Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ruined brand new eyepiece

Bubbles82

Might look towards a baader zoom eyepiece I don't really do much visual but wanted an upgrade from the stock eyepieces. I will look at some reviews over next few days and order some that will suit my range of scopes. I also would like to add that the pic I posted up was well after I had snapped the piece of the eyepiece off all the chewing was done after because I had some foam over to stop the grips marking the barrel but by then I had lost my temper and just took the grips to the metal in anger .

Ps apparently now I not allowed any tools while she's at work :) :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resolved... eyepiece is in the bin forgotten about still don't see how this can be called a two inch eyepiece when you are still only looking through 1.25 should have paid more attention :)

Yep ha ha like I said admitted my mistake and thought these were genuine 2 inch eyepieces not 1.25 trying to be 2 inch :) will be looking around for a better EP now plus upon close inspection the top lens has several bubbles in the glass although this may not have effected the view it does tell me where the quality / cost line is at:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what the FLO web site says:

"The 3.5mm, 5mm, 8mm, 13mm and 17mm versions feature a cleverly designed dual-fit barrel that enables them to be used in both 1.25” and 2” focusers.

The 22mm and 32mm versions have a 2" barrel.......

..........The 3.5mm, 5mm 8mm 13mm & 17mm focal lengths feature dual-fit barrels and are threaded for 1.25” filters. The 22mm and 32mm have 2" barrels that are threaded for 2" filters."

So the 3.5 - 17mm are 1.25" eyepiece with a 2" "skirt" for convenience if you wish to mount them in 2" draw tubes and the 22mm and 32mm are fully 2" eyepieces. Only the latter two are threaded for 2" filters as far as I can see.

They are not 2" nor do they pretend to be 2". the ad is clear on this. I'm sorry you butchered your e.p., but lets be fair when playing the blame game.

I have recognised my mistake and have fessed up so if u have nothing productive to say please do trouble yourself with commenting !

I quite agree , nothing like having your nose rubbed in it . Bad luck with the EP , i'd grab it out of the bin and have another look at it when you're not too angry with yourself as there may be some life in it yet.

thats a crying shame pal, but we all make daft mistakes once in a while.

as for the 2" confusion, you can blame people like me for that. its us awkward lazy folks that have 'proper' 2" long focal leength eps being really lazy aand dont want to bother putting in the 1.25" adaptor when using smaller focal length eps. having a 2" skirt makes it simpler for us.

To be honest this all came from the 2 inch eyepiece that came with my ed80 it's just got a 2 inch barrel and I really like using this as its very comfortable and nice field of view so I thought I would get a few 2 inch eyepieces I just assumed the 1.25 bit came off to leave a 2 inch barrel like that HOW WRONG WAS I ha ha :) My better half thinks this is really funny because I'm a body builder and often use my strength to " be a hero" as she puts it, she found this the perfect opportunity to remind me that being strong wasn't always an advantage :) :) ( obviously I will remember this next time she needs some thing heavy lifting ha ha:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even if it is broken so much as to be unusable I'd not bin it immediately. It would go into a box of bits for play and demonstrations or I would pull it apart to see what's in there for curiosity sake as much as anything else.

Hi bubbles,

oh well, I suppose you learn by making mistakes and it wont be the first xmas toy which ended up broken and in the bin by boxing day !

However, you have posted a piccie, in the diy observatories section , of a dam fine warm room you have put together in your garden with pier to follow so its not all bad and the missus cant complain about that as it looks great

...... but id lay off the open heart eyepiece surgery for now ; )

cheers

I wouldn't worry. lol. I once unscrewed the nose piece of a (quite nice) 32mm eyepiece. I then discovered, it also served to retain the myriad of lenses and spacers, that promptly... processed(?)... precessed (?)... onto my coffee table. All was NOT lost... I thought... Until, one of the elements got firmly STUCK in the housing, when I tried to reinsert the (not completely sure of order) b*ggars components back in! :p

Don't talk to me about mounts? In a fit of pique, I essentially wrote off a (frankly defective) "Skywatcher Az GoTo"! Don't talk to me about Ioptron (Mk.I) Alt-Azimuth mounts? If anyone *with experience* wants a potential "hardware project", do let me know though? I'll even pay the postage... :D

I think you should get one of those display boxes with the clear acrylic tops and sides, then mount the eyepiece and destroyed parts on the base, and add a pair of pliers for fun, and a small Christmas ornament as well.  I think it would be great fun as a nic nac for  the desk...and to show people that eyepieces can be used for more than simply viewing through :icon_compress:

Archived